Laws and Regulations
Title IV of the Clean Air Act – Acid Deposition Control
Title IV of the 1990 Amendments to the Clean Air Act (CAA) mandates requirements for the control of acid deposition—also known as acid rain.
Use the following links to view the individual sections of Title IV:
- Section 401: Findings and Purposes [42 U.S.C. 7651]
- Section 402: Definitions [42 U.S.C. 7651a]
- Section 403: Sulfur Dioxide Allowance Program for Existing and New Units [42 U.S.C. 7651b]
- Section 404: Phase I Sulfur Dioxide Requirements [42 U.S.C. 7651c]
- Section 405: Phase II Sulfur Dioxide Requirements [42 U.S.C. 7651d]
- Section 406: Allowances for States with Emissions Rates at or Below 0.80 Lbs/MMBTU [42 U.S.C. 7651e]
- Section 407: Nitrogen Oxides Emission Reduction Program [42 U.S.C. 7651f]
- Section 408: Permits and Compliance Plans [42 U.S.C. 7651g]
- Section 409: Repowered Sources [42 U.S.C. 7651h]
- Section 410: Election for Additional Sources [42 U.S.C. 7651i]
- Section 411: Excess Emissions Penalty [42 U.S.C. 7651j]
- Section 412: Monitoring, Reporting, and Recordkeeping Requirements [42 U.S.C. 7651k]
- Section 413: General Compliance With Other Provisions [42 U.S.C. 7651l]
- Section 414: Enforcement [42 U.S.C. 7651m]
- Section 415: Clean Coal Technology Regulatory Incentives [42 U.S.C. 7651n]
- Section 416: Contingency Guarantee: Auctions, Reserve [42 U.S.C. 7651o]
To view the entire Clean Air Act (CAA), visit EPA’s Clean Air Act page.
Acid Rain Program Regulations
The Acid Rain Program regulations are contained in 40 CFR Parts 72 through 78.
Note: There have been several changes to the Part 72 and Part 75 rules since the regulations were originally promulgated. For more information, visit Consolidated Part 72 and 75 Regulations.
Use the following links to view the individual parts: