Integrated Compliance Information System (ICIS)
User Guides and Training
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
The Internet repository for ICIS information or E-Share contains the ICIS Document Library. Read the instructions for accessing the E-share directory (PDF) (2 pp, 59K) to view or download ICIS information and documentation.
The guidance and frequent questions below will help you complete your tasks using ICIS.
On this page:
- The ICIS Users' Guide (PDF) (952 pp, 32MB) addresses the technical “nuts and bolts” of entering data into ICIS. The guide, organized by type of user and tasks, is a step-by-step explanation on performing various tasks within the ICIS system. Important information about using ICIS is found in Chapter 1, the introduction. Most users, depending on their role and the type of tasks they are performing in ICIS, may need to use only one or two chapters.
The guide does not deal with policy regarding what data should be entered in particular circumstances. Descriptions and information are written for clarity, not for regulatory precision.
The guide is not exhaustive. Data elements and other aspects of the system that are reasonably self-explanatory are not discussed.
- The ICIS Data Element Dictionary (DED) (PDF) (5495 pp, 19 MB) has been designed for use by all ICIS customers (both non-technical and technical users). It describes the data elements in ICIS and their key characteristics, and provides definitions and descriptions of all tables and columns within ICIS. The dictionary includes the following:
- data element basic information (descriptions, edit criteria, system requirements),
- database information (table, data type and column),
- reports information (identifies reporting universe and folder location for reporting objects), and
- business areas associated with each data element.
- The ICIS System Overview (PDF) (56 pp, 1 MB) provides basic information on accessing ICIS and how to obtain a user ID and password.
- The ICIS Governance Process Guidance Manual (PDF) (20 pp, 345K) and governance fact sheet (PDF) (6 pp, 100K) explain the enhancement, or change, procedures for the ICIS system. The goal of the ICIS governance process is to include stakeholders, ICIS management, system administrators, and the EPA and state user communities in improving ICIS to meet their needs. The guidance presents the method by which EPA will address and balance the interests of both the FE&C and NPDES users. This piloted process will be evaluated after one year.
You must use Adobe Acrobat version 8 or higher to complete the following forms. Please read the instructions carefully to complete and submit each form.
- The ICIS Issue Tracker System (IITS) Information Sheet (PDF) (3 pp, 54K) provides detailed information about the Lotus Notes, web-based database that records and monitors state and regional matters that have been reported to the ICIS Customer Support Section. IITS serves as a knowledge base that allows users to actively collect and share data to aid in the problem solving process.
- The ICIS-NPDES XML Schema User Guide (PDF) (590 pp, 8.08MB) is designed to instruct states on how to submit their permit, effluent or compliance and enforcement data to ICIS in an electronic format.
- OECA reminds all EPA regional offices and state environmental offices to use standard Form 3320-1 (OMB Form 2040-0004) (PDF) (4 pp, 214K) for all hardcopy data entry of discharge monitoring reports (DMRs). Using these forms helps promote consistency and quality of the data that we rely on to ensure clean water. This short fact sheet provides information on the use of these forms for data entry of DMRs.
Quick Reference Guides
- ICIS Tips and Tricks (PDF) (46 pp, 1.66MB) provides helpful hints and quick to the point answers to problems that ICIS users may encounter when creating reports.
- ICIS Quick Resource Guide (PDF) (2 pp, 481K) provides ICIS users with information at a glance covering tools available to assist ICIS users, as well as contact information.
- ICIS Batch Operational Database Maintenance Strategy (PDF) (4 pp, 49K)
- Modified Limits from Formal Enforcement Action in ICIS (PDF) (3 pp, 89K)
- NPDES Inspections for State ICIS Users (PDF) (3 pp, 42K) provides step by step instructions for states to enter NPDES inspection data.
- State Formal Enforcement Actions (PDF) (5 pp, 95K)
Training courses, workshops, and webcasts (PDF) (2 pp, 56K) are offered to EPA and states to assist users with managing the ICIS system.
ICIS Training is focused on providing a comprehensive perspective and working knowledge on the use of ICIS for both the FE&C and NPDES user. The goals of ICIS training are:
- To provide a common knowledge base for using the ICIS system, including:
- a working knowledge of how to enter and retrieve data
- a working knowledge on the overall system navigation, look and feel, and
- information on obtaining ICIS system support.
Webcasts and Training Courses
Webcasts and Training Courses open for registration are listed in the schedule under NETI online in the U.S. EPA National Environmental Training Institute (NETI). The regions and states also provide course registration information through mailings and brochures, especially related to NetDMR. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar or webcast.
Webcasts: Group attendance is a cost-cutting practice that allows EPA to offer more frequent training. Please attend webcasts with four or more users, if possible.
Webcasts, or webinars, are presented using one of two providers:
- EPA Portal ( http://portal.epa.gov/webconference)
- GoToMeeting ( https://www1.gotomeeting.com)
Contact Alice Mims (email@example.com) for technical assistance with GoToMeeting.
For general training questions contact ICIS User Support (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by phone at (202)564-7756.
ICIS Training Modules
- Basic Reports - Introduction to BO XI (PDF) (185 pp, 3.5MB)
- Basic Reports - Create Ad Hoc Query (PDF) (567 pp, 6.0MB)
- Advanced Reports - Schedules Evaluation (PDF) (14 pp, 1.98MB)
- ICIS Issue Tracker System Presentation (PDF) (21 pp, 445K)
- ICIS Governance Meeting FY2011 (PDF) (22 pp, 1.29MB)
- Facility Module for Federal Enforcement and Compliance Users
- ICIS - Updated Compliance Monitoring Training: ICIS Federal User
- ICIS - Updated Compliance Monitoring Training: ICIS-NPDES for State Users
- Facility and Permit Module for NPDES Users
- ICIS - Updated Compliance Monitoring Training: ICIS-NPDES for Federal Users