Cars and Light Trucks
Inspection & Maintenance (I/M) - Archive: Older Files & Publications
Note: EPA no longer updates this information, but it may be useful as a reference or resource.
This page provides older reports and files that pertain to vehicle inspection and maintenance programs.
NOTE: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
- On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) Program Implementation for Flexible Fuel Vehicles (FFVs) (PDF) (22 pp, 270K, EPA420-B-07-022, May 2007)
- OBD Policy Workgroup, Findings and Recommendations (PDF) (25 pp, 240K, November, 2002)
This document is the final report of the OBD Policy Workgroup, established under the Mobile Source Technical Review Subcommittee, of the Clean Air Act Advisory Committee (a Federal Advisory Committee).
- OBD Policy Workgroup, Technical Appendix (PDF) (219 pp, 1.5MB, November,
This document is a compilation of the presentations to the OBD Policy Workgroup between December, 2001 and the Workgroup's last meeting in October, 2002.
- Revised Diagnostic Link Connector (DLC) Database (with mapping
diagram and diagram explanation, December 2001)
DLC spreadsheet with mapping diagram and explanation (XLS): (100K)
DLC spreadsheet only (XLS) (70K)
- Effectiveness of OBD II Evaporative Emission Monitors - 30 Vehicle Study (PDF) (50 pp, 102K, EPA420-R-00-018, October 2000)
This technical report containing analysis of evaporative emission data on induced failures and subsequent repairs on 30 OBD vehicles of 1996 - 2000 model years (MYs). The Study includes new data from a follow-up test that Ford Motor Company conducted in September 2000.
- Effectiveness of OBD II Evaporative Emission Monitors - 30 Vehicle
Study (PDF) (50 pp, 102K, EPA420-R-00-018, October 2000)
A technical report containing analysis of evaporative emission data on induced failures and subsequent repairs on 30 OBD vehicles of 1996 - 2000 model years. Both the original study and a revised version with new data from a follow-up test that Ford Motor Company conducted in September 2000 are available.
- Evaluation of On-Board Diagnostics For Use in Detecting Malfunctioning
and High Emitting Vehicles (PDF) (38 pg, 120K, EPA420-R-00-013, September 2000)
A technical report providing comparative test results on over 200 model year 1995+ vehicles, including OBD, IM240, and FTP results.
- Analyses of the OBD II Data Collected from the Wisconsin I/M
Lanes (PDF) (30 pp, 170K, EPA420-R-00-014, September 2000)
A technical report analyzing the lane-reported IM240 and OBD test results on over 116,000 vehicles participating in Wisconsin's current I/M program.
- Draft Interim Guidance for Federal Facility Compliance with Clean Air Act Sections 118(c) and 118(d) and Applicable Provisions of State Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance Programs (PDF) (29pp, 99K, EPA420-D-99-003, December 1999)
- Evaluation of Two Prototype Purge Flow Test Instruments, Final Report: June 1999 (posted July 22, 1999, EPA420-R-99-017)
- December, 1996, SAE Paper 960092, Evaluation of Methods to Determine Catalyst Efficiency in the Inspection/Maintenance Process (PDF) (12pp, 71K)
- I/M Program Highlights, July - Sept. 1995
Contact: Dave Sosnowski at 734-214-4823 or firstname.lastname@example.org