Jump to main content or area navigation.

Contact Us

Importing Vehicles and Engines into the U.S.

How to obtain a copy of a Certificate of Conformity for a heavy-duty engine or a nonroad engine

A Certificate of Conformity is the document that EPA issues to an engine manufacturer to certify that an engine class conforms to EPA requirements. Every class of heavy-duty engines/vehicles and nonroad engines introduced into commerce in the U. S. must have a Certificate of Conformity, and they are valid for only one model year of production.

If you are exporting a heavy-duty highway engine or nonroad engine from the U.S. to another country, they may require certification. A Certificate of Conformity and Certification Information will contain the emission standards the heavy-duty on-highway engine or nonroad engine was certified to.

The U.S. EPA maintains a certification data public web site for heavy-duty highway engines and nonroad engines/equipment. You will need to know the Engine Family number (found on the emission label) to obtain this information. You can access test data for heavy-duty highway engines or nonroad engines for 1998 to the present on EPA’s Web site as follows:

  • Go to http://www.epa.gov/otaq/certdata.htm.
  • Choose the type of engine.
  • Choose the model year.
  • Depending upon the model the information will be in either Excel spreadsheet and/or File Maker (in File Maker search by the manufacturer or engine family name).

To request a Certificate of Conformity or test data for a heavy-duty highway or nonroad engine that you were unable to find on the web site, please send the following information to EPA’s Imports Hotline at Imports@epa.gov, Fax: 734-214-4676; phone:734-214-4100.

  • Model year of engine.
  • Type of engine (e.g., nonroad gasoline or diesel, heavy-duty highway gasoline or diesel).
  • Manufacturer.
  • Engine Family # (11 characters using both numbers and letters – printed on the emission label, which is located on the engine or in the engine compartment of the equipment).
  • Your name.
  • Contact information (address, email address, or fax number where you want EPA to send the Certificate of Conformity).

This page is maintained by EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality (OTAQ).
For more: About Us | Get E-mail Updates | Browse the A to Z Subject Index.

Jump to main content.