State and Local Transportation Resources
Mobility Management Strategies: Bike and Pedestrian Programs
This page provides links to EPA and non-EPA resources that provide additional information on mobility management strategies. Links go directly to specific websites or documents that address bike and pedestrian programs.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Resources
- Other Federal Departments & Agencies
- State, Local, and Regional Programs
- Non-Governmental Organizations
NOTE: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Resources
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Programs Fact Sheet (PDF) (8pp, 72K, EPA420-F-98-002, July 1998)
Thi is a comprehensive overview on bicycle and pedestrian programs, including keys to success and program examples.
Other Federal Departments & Agencies
- Federal Highway Administration Bicycle and Pedestrian Programs
A national initiative that promotes bicycle and pedestrian transportation accessibility, use, and safety.
- Florida Department of Transportation
Describes a statewide program working to promote safe walking and bicycling in Florida.
- Missouri Department of Transportation
Includes information on projects within St. Louis to make bicycling and walking safer, including "Walkable Community" events.
- North Carolina Department of Transportation
A comprehensive operation, touching all aspects of bicycling and walking; whether designing facilities, creating safety programs, mapping cross-state bicycle routes, training teachers, sponsoring workshops and conferences, or fostering multi-modal planning.
- South Carolina Department of Transportation
A program designed to provide better and safer accommodations for people who choose to walk or bicycle.
- Virginia Department of Transportation
Learn about various opportunities for bicycling in Virginia, including commute-related options.
- Washington State Department of Transportation
Offers a variety of useful information on bicycling in the state of Washington.
- Mid-America Regional Council (MARC)
A local bike and pedestrian program in the Kansas City region.
- National Bicycling and Walking Study
Features a ten-year status report on efforts to double the number of bike and walking trips and reduce by ten percent the number of fatalities and injuries by pedestrians and bicyclists in traffic accidents.
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center
A clearinghouse for information about pedestrian and bicycle health and safety, advocacy, education, enforcement, access, and mobility.
- Transportation Demand Management
(TDM) Encyclopedia - Bike/Transit Integration into TDM Programs
Victoria Transport Policy Institute site describes various strategies for integrating bicycling into public transit.
- Vermont Bicycle and Pedestrian Coalition
Provides comprehensive state bike and pedestrian program information.