Biofuels Compendium - Ethanol - Remediation
These resources provide information on remediation of ethanol in soil and groundwater. For other ethanol topics, please visit the biofuels compendium ethanol page or select a different subject area from the Quick Links menu on the right.
[ DISCLAIMER ]
- A Circle Vicious: What Do We Know About the Other Oxygenates? (PDF) (5 pp, 287K, About PDF)
Published in L.U.S.T.Line, a technical newsletter for underground storage tank (UST) stakeholders, this article presents information on ether oxygenates and ethanol. Remediation technologies for ethanol cleanup are discussed.
- Biofuels: Release Prevention, Environmental Behavior, and Remediation (PDF) (157 pp, 3.5MB, About PDF)
This Interstate Technology Regulatory Council Technical/Regulatory Guidance document covers a broad spectrum of issues about biofuels. Section 5 covers remediation strategies for ethanol.
- Evaluation of the Fate and Transport of Ethanol in the Environment (PDF) (69 pp, 345K, About PDF)
This comprehensive report, prepared for the Methanol Institute, discusses aspects of the fate and transport of ethanol including co-solvency; biodegradation; effect on benzene, toluene, ethyl benzene, and xylene plume lengths; toxicity; and remediation technologies.
- Health, Environmental, and Economic Impacts of Adding Ethanol to Gasoline in the Northeast States, Volume 3: Water Resources and Associated Health Impacts (PDF) (129 pp, 1.4MB, About PDF)
This third volume of a report prepared by the New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission presents an analysis of the water resource and public health impacts associated with the use of ethanol as a gasoline oxygenate in the Northeast states. Handling and storage, fate and transport mechanisms, and remediation technologies are discussed. (See pages 93-103)
- Health and Environmental Assessment of the Use of Ethanol as a Fuel Oxygenate: Volume 4: Potential Ground and Surface Water Impacts
The fourth volume in a five-volume report prepared for the California Environmental Policy Council, this comprehensive report includes detailed reports on the fate and transport of ethanol in the environment, remediation, and handling ethanol. (See Chapter 3: The Effect of Ethanol on BTEX Biodegradation and Natural Attenuation )
- Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether (MTBE) and Clean Gasoline Alternatives: Report to the Senate Education, Health, and Environmental Affairs Committee and the House Environmental Matters Committee (PDF) (74 pp, 325K, About PDF)
Prepared by the Maryland Department of the Environment's Air and Radiation Management Administration, this comprehensive report presents information on MTBE and alternative fuel oxygenates. Fate and transport, remediation, and use of these oxygenates in Maryland are discussed. (See pages 28-31 for a discussion of ethanol cleanup methods.)