Biofuels Compendium - Ethanol - Health And Safety
These resources provide information on the health and safety of ethanol when used as a motor fuel. For other ethanol topics, please visit the biofuels compendium ethanol page or select a different subject area from the Quick Links menu on the right.
[ DISCLAIMER ]
- Advisory Guidance: Emergency Response Involving Ethanol and Gasoline Fuel Mixtures (PDF) (2 pp, 361K, About PDF)
This fact sheet, developed by the U.S. Department of Transportation's Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, presents information on safety procedures and chemical properties of ethanol blends.
- Biofuels: Release Prevention, Environmental Behavior, and Remediation (PDF) (157 pp, 3.5MB, About PDF)
This Interstate Technology Regulatory Council Technical/Regulatory Guidance document covers a broad spectrum of issues about biofuels. Section 1.6 covers health and safety concerns about ethanol.
- Clean Air Program: Summary Assessment of the Safety, Health, Environmental and System Risks of Alternative Fuel (PDF) (145 pp, 2.4MB, About PDF)
Prepared by the U.S. Department of Transportation, this report presents the results of studies on the environmental, human health, and safety impacts of the use of alternative fuels including ethanol, biodiesel, methanol, propane, and others.
- E85 Fuel Ethanol: Industry Guidelines, Specifications, and Procedures (PDF) (26 pp, 236K, About PDF)
This guide, developed by the Renewable Fuels Association, presents comprehensive information on ethanol standards, equipment compatibility and conversion, handling and safety, quality assurance, and tax incentives.
- E85 Safety Concerns
Developed by the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy as part of the E85 Fleet Toolkit, this Web page includes information and links to resources pertaining to E85 safety concerns.
- Ethanol: Brief Report on Its Use in Gasoline (PDF) (6 pp, 84K, About PDF)
This paper, prepared by Cambridge Environmental, Inc., presents human health impacts of ethanol use in gasoline and briefly describes ethanol's behavior in the environment.
- Handbook for Handling, Storing, and Dispensing E85 (PDF) (31 pp, 2.1MB, About PDF)
Developed by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, this handbook provides extensive information on standards, storage, health and safety, and other topics relating to E85. (See pages 18-19 and 26-27)
- Health, Environmental and Economic Impacts of Adding Ethanol to Gasoline in the Northeast States, Volume 1: Summary and Recommendations (PDF) (26 pp, 393K, About PDF)
This first volume of a report prepared by the New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission presents an analysis of the environmental, health, economic, and regulatory impacts associated with the use of ethanol as a gasoline oxygenate in the Northeast states. Analysis and recommendations are presented. (See pages 3-4 and 8-10)
- Health, Environmental, and Economic Impacts of Adding Ethanol to Gasoline in the Northeast States, Volume 3: Water Resources and Associated Health Impacts (PDF) (129 pp, 1.4MB, About PDF)
This third volume of a report prepared by the New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission presents an analysis of the water resource and public health impacts associated with the use of ethanol as a gasoline oxygenate in the Northeast states. Handling and storage, fate and transport mechanisms, and remediation technologies are discussed. (See pages 3-7 and 29-48)
- Health and Environmental Assessment of the Use of Ethanol as a Fuel Oxygenate: Volume 5: Potential Health Risks of Ethanol in Gasoline (PDF) (42 pp, 556K, About PDF)
The fifth volume in a five-volume report prepared for the California Environmental Policy Council, this report outlines the health risks of ethanol in gasoline including cancer risks and drinking water and inhalation exposures.
- International Chemical Safety Card
Vermont Safety Information Resources, Inc. developed this Web page which includes detailed ethanol safety information including symptoms, first aid, firefighting strategies, and routes of exposure.