Policy, Programs, And Standards
These resources provide information on federal and state policies and regulations pertaining to fuel oxygenates. Additional resources with information on policies, programs, and standards pertaining to methyl tertiary butyl ether (MTBE) are available on another page. For more oxygenate resources, return to the oxygenates main page.
[ DISCLAIMER ]
- Additions to the Master Testing List -- Categories
Prepared by EPA's Office of Prevention, Pesticides and Toxic Substances (OPPTS), this list presents categories targeted by EPA for testing needs and/or testing action development.
- A Recommendation Regarding the Use of Alcohols as Gasoline Oxygenates (PDF) (9 pp, 63K, About PDF) 2006.
This report presents the recommendation of the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources regarding the need to ban the sale of gasoline containing alcohols used as oxygenates, including methanol, iso-Butanol, isopropanol, and others.
- Guidelines for Investigation and Cleanup of MTBE and Other Ether-Based Oxygenates (PDF) (20 pp, 72K, About PDF) 2000.
Prepared by California's State Water Resource Control Board, this document provides guidance to California regulatory agencies on overseeing the investigation and cleanup of sites with MTBE contamination.
- Monitoring and Reporting of MTBE and Other Oxygenates at UST Release Sites (PDF) (4 pp, 16K, About PDF) 2000.
In this memo, EPA's Acting Director of the Office of Underground Storage Tanks, recommends that all state UST/LUST program managers immediately begin monitoring and reporting of MTBE and other oxygenates in ground water at all UST release sites nationwide.
- Motor Vehicle-Related Air Toxics Study (PDF) (125 pp, 345K, About PDF) 1993.
Published by EPA's Office of Mobile Sources, this report presents the results of a study on controlling emissions of unregulated toxic air pollutants and the means and measures for such controls.
- Setting National Fuel Quality Standards. Paper 2A, Proposed Management of Petrol Octane Enhancing Additives/Products (PDF) (37 pp, 143K, About PDF) 2000.
This independent literature review provides an analysis of available octane-enhancing petrol additives and products.
- State Actions Banning MTBE (Statewide) (PDF) (4 pp, 45K, About PDF) 2007. EPA 420-B-07-013.
This EPA report provides state-by-state information on MTBE bans.
- Areas Participating in the Oxygenated Gasoline Program 1999.
Prepared by the U.S. Department of Energy's Energy Information Administration, this Web page provides state-by-state information on oxygenated gasoline program participation and links to additional resources and regulations.
- California Gasoline Programs 2009.
Prepared by the California Environmental Protection Agency, this Web page provides detailed information about the state of California's Gasoline Program, which aids the adoption of regulations that produce the most cost-effective combinations of control measures on motor vehicles and motor vehicle fuels.
- Origin of the Reformulated Gasoline Program 1995. EPA 420-F-95-001.
Prepared by EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality, this resource provides background information on EPA's Reformulated Gasoline Program.
- Program Summary: Research on Oxygenates Added to Gasoline 2004.
Prepared by the Health Effects Institute, this Web page provides summary information on an oxygenate research program which has funded several toxicologic studies to evaluate metabolism and toxicokinetics of ethers such as MTBE, ETBE, and TAME.
- Unregulated Contaminant Monitoring Program
Prepared by EPA, this Web page presents information on the Unregulated Contaminant Monitoring Program, which collects data for contaminants suspected to be present in drinking water, but that do not have health-based standards set under the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA).
- Drinking Water Contaminant Candidate List 2008.
EPA's Office of Water provides information on the contaminant candidate list and related information on this Web page.
- Drinking Water Standards 2006.
Prepared by EPA, this Web page presents information related to drinking water standards, including priority rulemakings, regulatory infrastructure, and additional information and links.
- MTBE in California Drinking Water 2008.
Prepared by California's Department of Public Health, this Web page includes drinking water standards, maximum contaminant levels, and comprehensive evaluation of health and environmental effects of MTBE and other oxygenates.
- State-by-State Survey of Soil and Groundwater Cleanup Standards 2003.
The Association for the Environmental Health of Soils (AEHS) conducted a survey of state standards for petroleum fuel constituents in soil and ground water.