Congressional District # 16
INTERSTATE POLLUTION CONTROL, INC.EPA ID# ILT180011975
Last Updated: March, 2012
The 2.8-acre Interstate Pollution Control (IPC) site is located northwest of Magnolia and Peoples Avenues in the south central part of Rockford, Winnebago County, Illinois. The site is located in an area that was heavily industrialized since the turn of the century. Historic industrial activities in the area include metal casting, plating, machine tooling, textile manufacturing, leather tanning, and printing operations.
The IPC property was originally a sand and gravel quarry. The city of Rockford used the quarry for waste disposal from 1942 until 1972, receiving residential, commercial, and industrial wastes, including large quantities of foundry sand. Aerial photographs and maps from the early to mid-1900s indicate there were several major quarries in the site vicinity. Most of these quarries have since been filled. A 1918 topographic map indicates a quarry existed beneath most of the IPC site. Later aerial photographs show the portions of the quarry under the site were completely filled by 1943. Following filling of the quarry and immediately prior to IPC's operations, the site was an auto salvage yard.
IPC operated as a hazardous waste storage facility for 30 to 40 local industry facilities from 1974 to 1982. Typical wastes hauled and stored on site by IPC include: cyanide waste from electroplaters, paint sludges and residues, industrial solvents, and waste oils from industry and service stations. IPC has a long history of poor waste management practices. On-site features included: an unlined impoundment, leaking tanks, leaking drums, and a mixture of incompatible wastes. During IPC's operation, support services were provided to two sister companies: a portable toilet business and Roto-Rooter franchise.
The IPC site is surrounded by significant industrial facilities. The Gunite Foundry, located northeast of the site, has been in operation for at least 80 years. A former pet food plant, located immediately southwest of the site, processed meat and produced pet food from the turn of the century until the 1980s. The Peoples Avenue Landfill is located immediately southeast and south of the site.
Site ResponsibilityThe Interstate Pollution Control (IPC) site is being addressed through potentially responsible party (PRP) actions under state and federal oversight.
Threats and ContaminantsSeventy-three chemicals of potential concern (COPC) detected in the site soils were selected for analysis in the risk assessment. These include 11 volatile organic compounds (VOCs), 29 semivolatile organic compounds (SVOCs), 14 pesticide/PCB compounds and 18 trace metals and cyanide. A total of 33 chemicals detected in onsite groundwater (shallow and deep) were selected as COPCs. These include 11 VOCs, 10 SVOCs, one pesticide/PCB compound, 11 trace metals, and cyanide.
Significant removal actions have occurred at the IPC site on two different occasions. The incinerator was removed between 1976 and 1979. IPC conducted a partial cleanup of the site in 1979 and 1980, in response to an Illinois Pollution Control Board Order. During this partial cleanup, several bulk tankers containing wastes, approximately 180 cubic yards of material from the surface impoundment and approximately 120 cubic yards of cyanide contamination, were removed. Twenty one hundred drums of contaminated materials were also removed from the site during this cleanup. The surface impoundment was backfilled and graded.
On August 6, 1991, U.S. EPA issued a unilateral administrative order (UAO) to IPC and a group of potentially responsible parties (PRPs) to conduct additional removal actions at the site. Beginning in 1992, the PRPs (1) fenced the site, (2) removed over 1,400 tons of solid and hazardous waste, (3) demolished and removed all aboveground and underground tanks and significant physical structures, (4) installed a clay cover over the former impoundment, and (5) substantially cleared the site. These removal actions addressed more than 2.9 million pounds of solid and hazardous waste. These materials constituted principal threats at the site.
In 1991, PRPs negotiated a partial consent decree with the Illinois EPA and the Illinois Attorney General to undertake a remedial investigation/feasibility study (RI/FS) at the site. The RI studied the nature and extent of remaining site contamination. The FS evaluated cleanup options for the remaining site contamination. The RI field investigations were conducted in 1993 and 1994. The final RI report was submitted in 1997.
In late 1999, the State of Illinois determined the final cleanup actions for the site: (1) an impermeable barrier cover over remaining surface contamination, and (2) monitored natural attenuation of the groundwater contamination. In October 2002, EPA concurred with this cleanup decision. Negotiations with the PRPs for the implementation of this remedy were held and resulted in the PRPs agreeing to conduct the site design and cleanup action. This agreement was documented in a Consent Decree filed on November 22, 2005. Cleanup design and construction began immediately after the Consent Decree was filed. Major cleanup actions were completed in the summer of 2006 and were documented in the Preliminary Close Out Report (PCOR), September 6, 2006. The groundwater is currently undergoing regular monitoring to assess the natural attenuation.
The first Five Year Review was completed in March 2011. Illinois EPA also asked to PRPs to perform an Institutional Controls Study for the site. The PRPs recently completed this study and it is under review by the Illinois EPA.
ContactsRemedial Project Manager, U.S. EPA
howard caine (email@example.com)
Community Involvement Coordinator, U.S. EPA
AliasesINTERSTATE POLLUTION CONTROL, INC
INTERSTATE POLLUTION CONTROL INC
ROTO ROOTER SERV INC