ST. LOUIS PARK
Congressional District # 05
NL INDUSTRIES/TARACORP/GOLDEN AUTOEPA ID# MND097891634
Last Updated: July, 2010
Site DescriptionThe NL Industries/Taracorp/Golden Auto site is located in St. Louis Park just west of Minneapolis. The site comprised two neighboring properties: one formerly owned by Taracorp, Inc. and the other owned by Morris and Harry Golden. Metal refining, fabricating, and associated activities were conducted at the site until 1903, when the secondary lead smelting operation was started. Solid wastes generated by the manufacturing facilities were stored in a slag storage area onsite. Liquid wastes were discharged through process sewers to the municipal sewer system. National Lead (NL Industries) purchased the site in 1928 and operated the lead smelting facility from 1940 until 1979. NL Industries sold the lead smelting operation to Taracorp in 1979. Taracorp continued to operate the smelter until 1981. There are residential areas within eight miles of the site. Aquifers beneath the site serve as a primary source of drinking water in the area.
Site ResponsibilityThe site is being addressed by the potentially responsible party (PRP) with oversight of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA).
Threats and ContaminantsAs a result of operations at the site, the site soils were contaminated with high concentrations of lead.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) proposed the site to the National Priorities List (NPL) in December 1982 and finalized the site on the NPL in September 1983.
Under an administrative order by consent (AOC) signed on March 8, 1985, between NL Industries, MPCA and U.S. EPA, NL Industries conducted onsite investigations and cleanup activities between 1985 and 1988. This included: restricting access to the site; removing contaminated onsite soils to a federally-approved facility and backfilling with clean soils; revegetating the excavated area; cleaning and demolishing several onsite buildings; installation of an asphalt cap; and long-term monitoring of groundwater. The groundwater monitoring has shown no exceedance of applicable standards. All construction at the site is complete, and cleanup goals for the site have been fully achieved.
The first five-year review for the site was completed on March 15, 1995. The asphalt cap was in place and remained in good condition to prevent public exposure to contaminated soils at the site. The cap appeared to be effective in minimizing infiltration of precipitation in the vicinity of the site and thus was protective of groundwater. The remedy as installed remained protective of public health and the environment.
A notice of intent to delete this site from the NPL was published in the Federal Register on April 3, 1998. A final deletion for the site was published in the Federal Register on May 21, 1998.
A second five-year review was completed on March 22, 2000. The remedy remained protective of human health and the environment. The third five-year review was completed on March 14, 2005, and concluded that the remedy is functioning as intended and is protective of human health and the environment.
On July 20, 2006, U.S. EPA, in consultation with MPCA, agreed to terminate the 1985 AOC, concluding that all the terms of the order had been completed. On September 4, 2009, U.S. EPA signed an Explanation of Significant Differences (ESD) to document the fact that Institutional Controls (ICs) are required at the Site.
A fourth five-year review was completed on December 22, 2009, and concluded that the remedy is functioning as intended and is protective of human health and the environment. Continued long-term protectiveness of the remedy requires compliance with ICs. Compliance with ICs at the Site will be ensured by maintaining, monitoring, and, if necessary, enforcing the ICs. Additionally, continued long-term protectiveness will be ensured by maintaining the remedy components.
On September 17, 2004, RER Acquisitions LLC (an experienced Brownfield developer), entered the Site into MPCA's Voluntary Investigation and Cleanup Program. After completing the MPCA-approved investigation, RER submitted its voluntary response action plan. The plan provided for the replacement of the existing asphalt cap with a combination of new building footings, foundations and floor, new asphalt park and drive areas and green space with clean soil cover and revegetation. RER has implemented the plan for redevelopment. On September 18, 2009, U.S. EPA made a determination that the site meets the requirements for Site-Wide Ready for Anticipated Use.
ContactsRemedial Project Manager, U.S. EPA
pablo valentin (email@example.com)
Community Involvement Coordinator, U.S. EPA
Don De Blasio
AliasesNORTHWESTERN METAL WKS
NL IND TARACORP GOLDEN AUTO