Congressional District # 02
PETERS CARTRIDGE FACTORYEPA ID# OHD987051083
Last Updated: January, 2014
The Peters Cartridge Factory Site is a partially abandoned manufacturing facility located at 1415 Grandin Road, Kings Mills, Ohio. The site consists of two distinct areas. The first area, Area A, occupies approximately 15 acres located in the floodplain and along the south valley wall of the Little Miami River. The topography varies from approximately 620 to 730 feet above sea level. The site is bordered to the north by the Little Miami Scenic River Bikeway and the Little Miami River, to the east by Grandin Road, to the south by agricultural land at the top of the valley wall, and to the west by undeveloped bottom land along the river. The ground surface is predominantly covered by asphalt and/or concrete. The remaining unpaved portion is characterized by steep terrain and mature deciduous vegetation. The second area, Area B, is a 56-acre parcel of unimproved wooded land on the southern, west/southwestern and east/southeastern borders of the fifteen 15-acre parcel.
The site buildings were constructed in 1916 as a munitions manufacturing facility known as the Peters Cartridge Company. The main site buildings are situated on the level ground next to the Little Miami River. The remnants of concrete bunkers and other buildings are scattered along the steep slope of the valley wall along the southern part of the site. Three swales convey water down the steeply sloping valley wall into stom sewers that run beneath the main buildings. The storm sewers are largely filled with debris. The site is currently occupied by several small businesses. The main buildings are in poor condition with most of the windows broken and roofs leaking.
The Remington Arms Company purchased the Peters Cartridge Compnay in 1934 and continued munitions manufacturing operations at the site until 1944 when the site was sold. The Remington Arms Company was acquired by E. I. duPont de Nemours and Company (DuPont Company). The DuPont Company, by reason of its ownership of Remington Arms, is jointly and severally liable for all investigation and cleanup activites at the site.
The site is being addressed through federal, state and potentially responsible parties actions.
Threats and Contaminants
An environmental assessment of Area A was conducted in 1987 during which on-site soils were sampled at depths of one, four, eight and twelve feet. Lead, copper and mercury-contaminated soils were found near each building in Area A, consistent with the manufacture of munitions.
The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (Ohio EPA) conducted an Expanded Site Inspection in 1999 during which soil, sediment, groundwater, and fish tissue samples were collected from Area A. Volatile, semi-volatile, and pesticide organic compounds were detected in the soil samples, and lead was detected in the on-site groundwater monitoring wells. A release of copper into the Little Miami River was observed, and lead was detected in the sediment samples.
The DuPont Company signed an Administrative Order on Consent with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in July 2004 under which the company agreed to conduct a Remedial Investigation/Feasibilty Study (RI/FS) at the site. EPA approved the final RI Report in February 2009 and the final FS Report in June 2009.
Additionally, Ohio EPA conducted a Water Quality Study in 2007 along the Little Miami River section that is adjacent to the Peters Cartridge Site, in part to determine whether there is any ecological impact on the Little Miami River from site contaminants. The study results, published in November 2007, indicate that the Peters Cartridge Site is not causing impairment to the Little Miami River.
EPA issued a Proposed Plan for site cleanup in June 2009 and held a public meeting in mid-July 2009 to present the Proposed Plan to the public. Additionally, EPA developed a Community Involvement Plan for the site in 2009.
EPA signed a Record of Decision on September 28, 2009, which detailed the remedy for the site. The selected remedy includes excavation and on-site consolidation of contaminated soil and limited action for groundwater with use-restriction institutional controls. EPA believes these response actions will be protective of human health and the environment.
EPA began negotiating with DuPont in 2010 for the remedial design and remedial action (RD/RA), but a settlement was not reached. In September 2011, EPA began the process of listing the site on the National Priorities List. EPA issued a unilateral administrative order (UAO) on March 30, 2012, requiring DuPont to conduct the RD/RA work. Dupont began the remedial design process in April 2012. DuPont conducted a Pre-Design Investigation at the site beginning in the summer of 2012 and submitted a 30% Design in 2013. EPA anticipates that the final Remedial Design will be submitted for approval in early spring 2014.
ContactsRemedial Project Manager, U.S. EPA
demaree collier (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Community Involvement Coordinator, U.S. EPA