Forest City High School & Ceramics Factory
Community Involvement Coordinator
Teresa Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-0725 or 800-621-8431, ext. 60725
312-353-8782 or 800-621-8431, ext. 38782
(where to view written records)
201 N. Main St.
Forest City, Illinois
The Forest City High School and Ceramics Factory Site is located at 409 Southwest Main Street in the Village of Forest City, Illinois. The Forest City High School opened in 1921 and closed in 1984. In 1984, 4.6 acres of the site was sold to a private investor and used to manufacture and sell ceramic products. The remaining 5.4 acres were deeded to the Village of Forest City and currently serves as a park. The 10-acre site is bordered by forested and agricultural land. The closest residents live approximately 0.5 mile northeast of the site. The property is currently vacant.EPA conducted an investigation of the site in June 2012, and discovered asbestos, lead and other hazardous contaminants. Breathing in high levels of asbestos can cause health problems such as lung disease and cancer. The Site is not secure and poses a threat to human health and the environment. The three buildings located on the site are in bad condition, with a collapsed roof and broken glass in and around the site.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
In February 2013, EPA conducted a time-critical removal action. It included:
- removing asbestos and other hazardous materials
- demolishing the abandoned high school building which posed a direct contact threat
- backfilling excavated areas and transporting and disposing of hazardous substances in an off-site disposal facility
EPA held a community involvement information session at the Village Hall in February 2013 to share details about the planned cleanup activities at the former Forest City High School campus.
In May 2013, the site was backfilled and graded with sand and topsoil. The township will seed the property. The site will be used as a park after a property transfer is completed between the current property owner and the township. EPA and contractor left the site on May 14, 2013.
- EPA Plans Urgent Cleanup Project at Abandoned School (PDF) (2pp, 84K) January 2013
- ATSDR Tox FAQs: Abestos
- Pollution/Situation Report 5 (PDF) (5 pp 25 K) May 14, 2013
- Polrep 4 (PDF) (4pp, 25K) March 27, 2013
- Polrep 3 (PDF) (4pp,25K) March 1, 2013
- Polrep 2 (PDF) (4pp, 24K) February 15, 2013
- Polrep 1 (PDF) (4pp, 27K) February 7, 2013
- Site Assessment Report for the Forest City High School site (PDF) (123 pp, 1.4 MB) Oct. 11, 2012
- Action Memorandum (PDF) (21pp, 1.4MB) October 2012