Jacobsville Neighborhood Soil Contamination Site
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
312-886-4785 or 800-621-8431, ext. 64785
(where to view written documents)
Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library - Central Branch
200 S.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
The Jacobsville site in Evansville, Indiana includes the Jacobsville neighborhood as well as 12 other neighborhoods in a 4.5-square-mile area. This area includes residential, commercial, and industrial properties. Several manufacturing companies, some dating back to the 1880s, are thought to be the potential sources of lead and arsenic contamination in soil at many nearby homes.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
The EPA is in the process of cleaning up lead-contaminated soil at approximately 4,000 homes in 13 Evansville neighborhoods. To do this, contractors are digging up soil with high lead and arsenic levels and trucking it off-site for proper disposal at a licensed landfill. The yards are being backfilled with clean soil and restored as closely as possible to their original condition.
The cleanup, which began in 2010, is expected to take at least five more years to complete. Ongoing work at 900 homes in multiple neighborhoods including Jacobsville, STAR and CHAIN will continue through November 2014 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays, and possibly some Saturdays. During this time, residents may notice extra truck traffic or noise.
Superfund Program Implements the Recovery Act - Jacobsville Neighborhood Soil Contamination Evansville, Indiana
- Phase one completion ceremony announcement (PDF) (1pp, 523K) October 2010
- EPA begins Recovery Act-funded cleanup at Evansville Superfund site April 6, 2010
- Media Advisory: Briefing on Recovery Act-funded Evansville Superfund site April 6, 12:30 p.m. April 5, 2010
- EPA hosts meetings on Evansville Superfund cleanup Feb. 4, 2 P.M. and 6:30 P.M. January 26 2010
- EPA expands scope of lead cleanup at Evansville SUPERFUND Site; Hearings June 23 and 24 June 10 2009
- Corrected News Release: Recovery Act funding to accelerate cleanup, boost economy, create jobs and protect human health at Evansville hazardous waste site Apr. 16, 2009
- EPA selects cleanup plan for Evansville, Ind., Superfund site Feb. 26, 2008
- Media Advisory: EPA, IDEM to brief on Evansville, Ind., Superfund site, Feb. 26, 10 am Feb. 25, 2008
- Sampling at Evansville soil contamination site expands to new areas, April. 5, 2005
- Jacobsville Neighborhood Lead Contamination Superfund Site Newsletter (PDF) (8pp, 1.35MB) June 2013
- Jacobsville Neighborhood Lead Contamination Superfund Site Newsletter (PDF) (5pp 2.75MB) December 2011
- Jacobsville Neighborhood Lead Contamination Superfund Site Newsletter (PDF) (8pp 2.44MB) May 2011
- ATSDR Arsenic fact sheet
- ATSDR Lead fact sheet
- EPA Common Questions About Lead (PDF) (1pp, 40K)
- Vanderburgh County Health Department Lead Info Sheet (PDF) (1pp, 50K)
- Vanderburgh County Health Department Gardening in Lead Fact Sheet (PDF) (1pp, 59K)
- Vanderburgh County Health Department Lead Fact Sheet (PDF) (2pp, 87K)
- EPA Expands Lead Cleanup Area (PDF) (8pp, 729K) June 2009
- EPA Proposes Cleanup Plan for Lead Site (PDF) (8pp, 686K) January 2007
- Community interviews conducted on lead site (PDF) (6pp, 336K) September 2005
- Record of Decision (PDF) (111pp, 958KB) September 2009
- Feasibility Study (PDF) (59pp, 6.3MB) June 2008
- Pollution Report #4 (PDF)(3pp, 154KB) June 2008
- Pollution Report #3 (PDF)(2pp, 94KB) February 2008
- Record of Decision (PDF) (96pp, 4.7MB) February 2008
- Pollution Report #2 (PDF)(2pp, 107KB) November 2007
- Pollution Report #1 (PDF)(4pp, 154KB) October 2007
- Action Memo (PDF)(19pp, 6.3MB) August 2007
- Feasibility Study (PDF) (48pp, 7.0MB) January 2007
- Short Term Cleanup 2007-2008 (PDF) (1pg, 34" x 22", 312K) February 2008 map showing Phase 1 cleaned and examined parcels
- Aerial view of Jacobsville site showing OU1 area and expanded OU2 area (PDF) (1 pg, 682K) June 2009. June 2009 map showing boundaries of original cleanup area (operable unit 1 [OU1]) and expanded cleanup area (OU2).
- OU1 and OU2 with neighborhood boundaries (PDF) (1pg, 538K) June 2009. OU1 and OU2 of Jacobsville site with neighborhood association boundaries shown.
- Remedial Investigation Report (PDF) (106pp, 6.3MB) September 2006
- Community Involvement Plan (PDF) (19pp, 286K) August 2005