Onalaska Municipal Landfill
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (email@example.com)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
(where to view written records)
Onalaska Public Library
741 Oak Ave. S,
Holmen Area Library
103 State St.
The Onalaska Municipal Landfill site consists of a 7-acre landfill on an 11-acre parcel of property near the Black River in the rural, unincorporated town of Onalaska. The surrounding area consists primarily of agricultural lands, although several homes are located nearby. The landfill area was a sand and gravel quarry before the town used it as a municipal landfill from 1969 to 1980. Municipal refuse was mixed with industrial solvents such as naphtha, toluene, and trichloroethene.
The cleanup, which consisted of a landfill cover, ground water pump and treat system, and a bioremediation system was completed in 1994. The bioremediation system was shut down in 1998 and the ground water system was discontinued in 2001. The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources assumed control of the site in 2002.The cleanup has been reviewed three times to make sure people and the environment are still protected. EPA and Wisconsin DNR are currently evaluating the need to have additional long-term institutional controls placed on the landfill property.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA, along with Wisconsin DNR, has approved an amendment to the original cleanup plan to address the volatile organic compounds (trimethylbenzenes and naphthalene) that are still in the ground water. The plan allows for the ground water pump and treat system to be permanently shut down and uses monitored natural attenuation to clean up VOCs in ground water.
Two private water supply wells close to the landfill, which have high levels of manganese, will also be replaced as part of the amended cleanup plan.
The final plan is outlined in a document called the Record of Decision Amendment.
- Record of Decision (PDF) (54pp, 2.2MB) September 2012
- Proposed Plan (PDF) (18pp, 1.9MB) April 2012
- Explanation of Significant Differences (PDF) (13pp, 351K) November 2001
- Explanation of Significant Differences (PDF) (11pp, 45K) September 2000
- Record of Decision (PDF) (110pp, 380K) August 1990
- Remedial Investigation Report Volume 2 (PDF) (408pp, 12.46MB ) December 1989
- Remedial Investigation Report Volume 1 (PDF) (180pp, 8.46MB ) December 1989
- Feasibility Study Report (PDF) (240pp, 8.77MB ) December 1989
- ATSDR Preliminary Health Assessment (PDF) (24pp, 955K ) December 1988
- Third five-year review (PDF) (199pp, 8.66MB) July 2008
- Second five-year review (PDF) (89pp, 359MB) July 2003
- First five-year review (PDF) (6pp, 86K) July 1998
- Partial Consent Decree (PDF) (32pp, 1.4MB) December 1996
- Consent Decree (PDF) (39pp, 1.4MB) May 1994