Prairie Ronde Realty Company (PRR) (Former National Copper Products Site)
- Dowagiac, MI (Cass County)
- EPA ID# MID005068507
- RCRA Corrective Action Site
- Alias(es): Sunstrand Heat Transfer
Public Affairs Specialist
Rafael P. Gonzalez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-0269 or 800-621-8431, ext. 60269
312-886-4253 or 800-621-8431, ext. 64253
(where to view written records)
Dowagiac Public Library
211 Commercial Street
The site at 415 East Prairie Ronde Road in Dowagiac, Michigan has been used for a variety of manufacturing purposes since 1916, including production of furnaces, copper tubing and air conditioners. Prairie Ronde Realty (PRR) purchased the property in 1995 and leased it to National Copper Products which used it for manufacturing. In 2009, National Copper Products filed for bankruptcy. The building is currently leased to multiple entities for non-industrial uses.
Groundwater at the site is contaminated with volatile organic compounds (VOCs), primarily trichloroethene (TCE).
- The company has been pumping the groundwater for many years to contain migration of the contaminated groundwater. As a result, the highest concentrations of TCE are found onsite.
- The onsite concentrations have been further reduced by "enhanced reductive dechlorination" (ERD), a very effective way to speed up the natural degradation of the contamination.
- Additional measures have been taken at the facility, such as the removal of contaminated soil and soil vapor extraction, to reduce the risk from contamination.
PRR entered into a RCRA 3008(h) Administrative Order on Consent (AOC) with EPA on June 2, 2006. PRR must implement site-wide corrective action at the site. EPA has been overseeing the environmental investigation at the 33-acre facility and will propose appropriate remedies in those areas where contamination must be addressed.
In 2012, EPA collected indoor air samples and on-site sub-slab samples (from the space under the building foundation). Samples demonstrated that TCE concentrations below the building foundation and within the indoor air exceeded EPA's screening levels. TCE easily evaporates as a gas when it is exposed to air or soil and migrates from below the building to inside the building, a process referred to as vapor intrusion. EPA directed PRR to decrease the immediate concentrations of TCE inside the building with proper ventilation and to establish a permanent vapor mitigation system.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- EPA Considers Cleanup Steps at Former Industrial Site (PDF) (3 pp, K) March 2015 fact sheet
- Final Corrective Measures Plan (PDF) (421 pp, 13.8 MB) June 11, 2012, revised June 11, 2013
- Indoor air sampling work plan for PRR building (PDF) (14 pp, 637 K) February 2012
- Indoor air and sub-slab soil gas sampling work plan for PRR building (PDF) (19 pp, 305 K) March 2012
- Indoor air and sub-slab soil gas sampling work plan for PRR building (PDF) (153 pp, 4 MB) April 2012
- Second draft work plan for interim sub-slab depresurization system (PDF) (11 pp, 225 K) April 24, 2012
- EPA comments on Work Plan for Interim Sub-Slab Depressurization System (PDF) (4 pp, 75 K) May 8, 2012
- Documentation of Environmental Indicator Determination: Release to Groundwater Controlled (PDF) (12 pp, 363 K) April 2008
- Documentation of Environmental Indicator Determination: Human Exposure Controlled (PDF) (10 pp, 275 K) June 2007
- National Copper Products Well Sampling Continues (PDF) (2 pp, 50 K) July 2006 Fact Sheet
- Air Sampling Results National Tube/Sundstrand Heat Transfer Plant, Dowagiac, MI, May 2006 (PDF), (204 pp, 5 MB) May 2006
- National Copper Products Site Map (PDF) (1pg, 23 K) July 2006
- Current Conditions Report, July 2005 (PDF) (424 pp, 44 MB) July 2005
- Soil Gas Data Evaluation, June 2005 (PDF) (95 pp, 2 MB) June 2005
- Figure 1 Map - Groundwater Controlled (PDF) (1pg, 150 K) February 1999
- Current Conditions Report, July 2005 (PDF) (424 pp, 44 MB)
- Soil Gas Data Evaluation, June 2005 (PDF) (95 pp, 2 MB)
- PRR First Quarter 2014 Monitoring Report (PDF)(228pp, 4.2 MB)
- PRR Second Quarter 2014 Monitoring Report (PDF)(391pp, 8 MB)
- PRR Third Quarter 2014 Monitoring Report (PDF)(137pp, 2.5MB)
- PRR Fourth Quarter 2014 Monitoring Report (PDF)(316 pp, 8MB)