Sauget Area 1
- Sauget, IL (St. Clair County)
- EPA ID# ILD980792006
- Alias(es): N/A
- Sauget Area 1 Map with names of companies
Community Involvement Coordinator
Cheryl Allen (email@example.com)
312-353-6196 or 800-621-8431, ext. 36196
Remedial Project Manager
Stepanie Linebaugh (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-353-2315 or 800-621-8431, ext. 32315
(where to view written records)
Cahokia Public Library
140 Cahokia Park Drive
Cleanup at the Sauget Area 1 site is being addressed by short-term removal actions and a long-term cleanup phase that focuses on cleaning up the entire site. The long-term cleanup phase requires a remedial investigation and feasibility study (RI/FS). This is a study of the nature and extent of contamination (RI) and a description of potential cleanup alternatives (FS). The RI/FS is being reviewed to include added studies and investigations and should be submitted to EPA for review in 2009.
Sauget Area 1 is made up of 12 contaminant sources that include Segments A-F of Dead Creek and adjacent sites G, H, I, L, M and N. Sites G, H, and I are inactive landfills or former disposal areas next to the creek. Site L was used by waste haulers to dispose wash water and sites M and N are former sand pits. Check out the map of Sauget Area 1 and 2 that highlights each source within the areas along with the names of companies that at one time operated in the areas.
Short-term cleanup performed at the sites included:
- Removing 22,000 cubic yards of contaminated creek sediment (mud) from Dead Creek.
- Consolidating waste and placing soil cover over the Site G landfill after an underground fire.
- Replacing certain culverts in Dead Creek that act as backup points for flood waters on the creek.
- Digging up 50,000 cubic yards of contaminated sediment from Dead Creek Segment B-F, Site M and the basin area.
- Pumping water in areas of Dead Creek to improve drainage and lessen standing water.
- Placing a liner in creek segment B.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA approved the record of decision on September 24, 2013. This document outlines EPA’s plan for cleaning up remaining contamination at the Sauget Area 1 Superfund site and will be the first of two cleanup decisions and cleanup actions for the site.
EPA’s overall strategy for cleaning up the site is to first address contamination in the soil, sediment, surface water and groundwater through the cleanup action selected in the record of decision. Groundwater is an environmental term for underground supplies of fresh water.
Under EPA’s selected cleanup, the Agency will use an innovative forced air technique in areas of remaining waste and cap these sections on-site. The cleanup will protect people and the environment and comply with state and federal environmental regulations. The plan can be implemented, is effective in the long-term and is cost-effective. The estimated cost for this cleanup plan is $14.8 million.
Next EPA plans to issue two record of decisions. One will address Sauget Area 2 soil, sediment, surface water and groundwater contamination. The other will address groundwater contamination resulting from the contaminated soil and groundwater contamination identified in the Sauget Area 1 and Sauget Area 2 site.
Sauget Area 1 Record of Decision signed September 24, 2013 (PDF) (127 pp, 6.2MB) September 2013
- EPA Proposes Cleanup Plan for Soil and Ground Water Fact Sheet (PDF) (6pp, 244KB) February 2013
- Results Released for Home, Park Soil Sampling (2pp, 494K) April 2010
- Dead Creek Cleanup Done; EPA Issues Final Report (PDF) (4pp, 390K) January 2010
- Superfund Update - Cleanup Progressing and Future Plans (PDF) (2pp, 508K) November 2009
- Sauget Area 1 Record of Decision signed September 24, 2013 (PDF) (127 pp, 6.2MB) September 2013
- Sauget Area 1 Superfund site proposed plan (PDF) (35pp, 767KB) February 2013
- Remedial Investigation /Feasibility Study , Vol. 1(PDF) (623pp, 6.8MB) February 2013
- Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study, Vol. 2 (PDF) (185pp, 87MB) February 2013
- Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study, Vol. 2 - Appendix A (PDF) (62pp, 669KB) February 2013
- Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study, Vol. 2 - Appendix B through I (PDF) (119pp, 8MB) February 2013
- Community Involvement Plan (PDF) (20pp, 546KB) November 2010
- Dead Creek - final remedy (PDF) (223pp, 6.2MB) April 2006
- Engineering Evaluation/Cost Analysis, Remedial (PDF) (518pp, 27.6MB) July 2002
- Adminstrative Order directing compliance with request for access, May 7, 2004 (PDF) (28pp, 937K) May 2004
- Administrative Order on Consent, January 12, 1999 (PDF) (53pp, 2.9MB) January 1999