Tomah Municipal Sanitary Landfill
Community Involvement Coordinator
Susan Pastor (email@example.com)
312-353-1325 or 800-621-8431, ext. 31325
Remedial Project Manager
Jenny Davison (firstname.lastname@example.org )
(800) 886-6217 Ext. 60184
(where to view written records)
Tomah Public Library
716 Superior Ave.
The Tomah Municipal Sanitary Landfill site was operated by the city of Tomah from 1959 to 1979, when it closed out of concern for groundwater quality. The landfill accepted municipal and industrial waste on an 18-acre portion of the property located on Noth Street. Waste was placed in shallow, unlined trenches, then covered with soil. When waste material became saturated with rain water, chemicals seeped into soil and groundwater underneath the landfill.
Harmful and explosive gas was also created in the landfill as a result of decomposing waste. This gas moved through openings in waste and soil toward a subdivision south of the landfill.
The landfill was cleaned up in 2000 when a cover, made of a thick synthetic membrane and several feet of clay, was placed over the landfill. It was topped with a layer of soil and vegetation. In addition, a gas extraction system was installed to safely vent landfill gases into the air.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
EPA completed a review of the site's cleanup. This type of review is required at least every five years where the cleanup is complete but hazardous waste remains managed on-site. These reviews are done to ensure that the cleanup continues to protect people and the environment.
The review included:
- An evaluation of background information
- Cleanup requirements
- Effectiveness of the cleanup and any anticipated future actions
- Maintenance and monitoring efforts
- An analysis of ways for EPA to operate more efficiently
- You've Been Asking (PDF) (2pp, 211K) March 2004
- EPA Proposes Plan for Contaminated Ground Water (PDF) (6pp, 577K) June 2003
- Record of Decision (PDF) (69pp, 2.7MB) September 2003
- Record of Decision (PDF) (29pp, 60K) 1997
- Proposed Plan (PDF) (8pp, 243K) August 1997
- Third five-year review report (PDF) (119pp, 9MB) January 2015
- Second five-year review report (PDF) (58pp, 2.6MB) January 2010
- First five-year review (PDF) (99pp, 2.0MB) April 2005