175th & White Oak Ave Oil Spill, Hammond, Ind.
EPA is offering to test home air quality in the affected zone. Call 800-621-8431 and press "0" and leave a message and we will return your call. You may also e-mail Community Involvement Coordinator Ginny Narsete (firstname.lastname@example.org) directly.
Map of Site Location
Printable map of area (PDF) (1p, 1.37MB)
Response to date, September 13, 2010
- 377,375 gallons of oily liquids* removed
- 18,562 gallons of product
- ~ 525 tons**tons of soil removed
- ~ 30 tons**tons of concret/asphalt removed
* waiting for separation of oil and water to determine oil/water fractions
** Volume estimates only at this time. Certified weights (tonnage) values will be provided as reported/disposed at the TSDF.
On August 18, 2010, EPA Region 5 issued an administrative order under the Clean Water Act to BP Products North America, Inc., BP Pipelines (North America) Inc., and US Pipeline and Logistics (BP), requiring the companies to immediately cease discharging oil at or near 175th Street and White Oak Avenue in Hammond, Ind., and to clean up any oil related to this discharge. BP will bear any costs associated with the cleanup.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- Media Advisory: EPA, State and Local Officials To Hold Media Briefing on Hammond Gas Leak - August 18, 2010
- EPA Removal Amended Administrative Order Docket Number CWAI321-5-10-002 (PDF) (6pp, 255K) - September 15, 2010
- EPA Removal Administrative Order, BP Products North America, Inc, BP Pipelines (North American), Inc., and US Pipeline and Logistics Docket Number: CWA1321-5-10-002 (PDF) (6pp, 183K) - August 18, 2010
Images of the spill site