Tribal Solid Waste and Pollution Prevention
Dolly Tong (firstname.lastname@example.org) 312-886-1019
US EPA Region 5
77 W. Jackson Boulevard (DW-8J)
Chicago, IL 60604
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
The goal of EPA Region 5's tribal solid waste and pollution prevention program is to encourage comprehensive integrated solid waste management and waste reduction practices in Indian Country that are protective of human health and the environment.
Region 5 works with tribes to build tribal capacity for developing and implementing integrated waste management activities through grant funding, technical assistance, resources on solid waste and pollution prevention issues, and partnerships among tribal, local, state and federal entities.
The Region 5 program awards grants to tribes in the states of Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin to implement solid waste programs and pollution prevention activities on their reservations.
EPA provides on-site pollution prevention assessments at tribal facilities upon request. The purpose of the assessments is to identify opportunities to reduce waste, save energy, and save money in tribal facilities. Typical facilities assessed include casinos/hotels, administrative offices, schools, health care facilities, etc. Contact Burdell Chapman email@example.com at (312) 353-9564 for more information.
August 18, 2010 Tribal Green Casino Webinar Presentations
- Brendan O'Kane Property Operations Manager Harrah's Rincon Casino and Resort, California. Rincon Band of San Luiseno Mission Indians (PDF) (11pp, 780K)
- Jim Lincoln, Vice President of Facilities, Grand Casino Hinckley, Minnesota, Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe (PDF) (13pp, 4M)
- Joshua Simmons, Environmental Director, Santa Ynez Band of Chumash Indians, California (PDF) (47pp, 12M)
- Burdell Chapman, Circuit Rider, Tribal Solid Waste and Pollution Prevention, US EPA, Region 5 (PDF) (7pp, 36K
Self-Sustaining Tribal Integrated Waste Management Programs
- Sustainable Tribal Waste Management Programs – Draft (PDF) (3pp, 47K) October 2008
- Sustainable Tribal Waste Management Programs: Evaluation of Key Indicators (PDF) (14pp, 165K) October 2008
Integrated Waste Management Plans
- Integrated Waste Management Planning Method to incorporate the five elements into a Tribal integrated waste management plan - FINAL REGIONAL DRAFT (PDF) (41pp, 193K) April 2007
- The Five Elements of a Tribal Integrated Waste Management Plan (PDF) (2pp, 17K) April 2007
Tribal Illegal Dumping Prevention
- Illegal Dumping Prevention Project Tribal Assistance - January 2001 (PDF) (2pp, 15K) describes successful projects and how to conduct an assessment
- Illegal Dumping Prevention Guidebook best practices for preventing and mitigating illegal dumping.
- Tribal Waste Journal: Respect Our Resources: Prevent Illegal Dumping (PDF) (22 pp, 1.1MB)
- Region 5 Pollution Prevention Program
- National Tribal Pollution Prevention Web Portal
- Green Design Summit
- Strengthening Partnerships to Improve Tribal Waste Management (PDF) (10 pp, 159K) October 2008
- National Pollution Prevention Roundtable Tribal Workgroup