Approximately 13 million tons of glass waste are generated annually. Food and beverage containers make up over 90% of this amount; the remaining 10% comes from products like cookware and glassware, home furnishings, and plate glass
What You Can Do:
Recycle glass containers. Contact your local county waste department and find out what types of recycling are available in your area. You can also find your own uses for glass containers. Use them in a workshop to store nails, or under your sink to keep cotton swabs. Be creative.
For More Information:
The Glass section of the EPA Commodities web page, provides the following:
- basic facts on generation and recycling rates,
- the recycling process,
- the environmental benefits of recycling,
- source reduction,
- markets for recovered,
- buy recycled links,
- links to industry associations and other information sources.