Pacific Southwest, Region 9
Serving: Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Pacific Islands, Tribal Nations
Environmental Awards in the Pacific Southwest
Since 1999, EPA's Pacific Southwest office has encouraged citizens in California, Arizona, Nevada, Hawaii, the Pacific Islands and tribal lands to nominate individuals or organizations for Environmental Awards.
This program offers a great opportunity for us to recognize individuals and groups outside of EPA who are working to protect public health and the environment. Awards can be given to anyone, such as scientists, teachers, journalists, citizen activists, young people, organizations, business representatives, public officials, and others committed to protecting public health and preserving our natural surroundings.
The nomination period for the 2013 awards program closed on May 31. A total of six to eight winners will be selected in the fall of 2013 and recognized at events in their local areas.
2012 Award Winners
The 2012 awardees were honored at individual presentations and group award ceremonies at various locations in the Pacific Southwest region.
- Children’s Environmental Health: Dr. Jeanne Conry, MD, PhD
- Clean Technology: Mark Ritchie and Kuehnle AgroSystems, Inc.
- Climate Change Champion: Grid Alternatives of Oakland, Calif.
- Educational Leadership: The Guam Environmental Education Committee
- Efficient Water Infrastructure: The Water, Energy, and Technology (WET) Center at Fresno State University
- Environmental Justice Champion: Neelam Sharma, executive director of Community Services Unlimited (CSU)
- Green Business of the Year: The Frito-Lay Casa Grande Plant
- Green Chemistry: KORE Infrastructure, LLC
- Green Government: Arizona State University’s Sustainable Cities Network, part of ASU’s Global Institute of Sustainability (GIOS)
- Sustainable Agriculture Champion: Organic walnut farmer Russ Lester of Dixon Ridge Farms
- Tribal Environmental Protection: The Shoshone-Paiute Tribes of Duck Valley
- Zero Waste Advocate: Adobe Systems Inc.
Learn more about the accomplishments of our 2012 Award Winners
Environmental Awards (R9EnvironmentalAwards@epa.gov)
|Pacific Southwest NewsroomPacific Southwest Programs||Grants & FundingUS-Mexico Border||Media CenterCareers||About EPA Region 9 (Pacific Southwest)A-Z Index|