Animal Feeding Operations - Laws, Regulations, Policies, and Guidance
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
Animal Feeding Operations Highlights
Information about environmental laws and regulations that affect animal feeding operations. Click on the links below to find out more information and facts on AFOs and CAFOs.
Information from EPA
- Final Mandatory Greenhouse Gas Reporting Rule
- Rule Change Provides Exemptions from Reporting Requirements for Air Releases of Hazardous Substances from Farm Animal Waste
- CAFO Final Rule - provides information about the Final CAFO Rule including the preamble and text, fact sheets, background documents, and other important information.
- Supporting Documents for the CAFO Rule - supporting documents including technical support, economic analysis, and cost methodology for the CAFO Rule.
- Other EPA AFO Documents - animal feeding operation documents available from EPA's Office of Water.
- National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES): Animal Feeding Operations (AFOs) - information about agricultural activities regulated by wastewater permits.
- View NPDES Individual and General Permits Online
Information from States
- EZregs - University of Illinois Extension Web site that identifies environmental regulations that pertain to specific agricultural and horticultural operations and practices in Illinois.
- State-Specific Manure Nutrient Management Information
- State Regulations - Links to state AFO/CAFO regulations and requirements.
- State Web Sites, Permits, and Other Publications - Links to state AFO/CAFO Web sites, state agricultural Web sites, example general and individual CAFO permits, fact sheets, inspection forms, guidance, and compliance assistance publications.
Information from USDA
- Livestock and Poultry Environmental Learning Center - Regulations Related to Livestock and Poultry.
Animal Feeding Operations Permit Information
EPA Issues Water Pollution Permit to Large Arizona AFOs
Animal Waste Permits
Swine Feeding Operations Regulations
Idaho One Plan
Confined Feeding Control
Animal Feeding Operations
Manure Management Plan Forms for CAFOs
Livestock Waste Management
Animal and Related Wastes Control Regulations (PDF) (20 pp, 125.28KB)
Animal Feeding Operations
Regulations and General Permit for Animal Feeding Operations
Feedlots in Minnesota
Livestock Waste Management Act Info
- New York
Permits for CAFOs
- North Carolina
Water Quality and Waste Management Rules
- North Dakota
Animal Feeding Operations Program
Livestock Waste System Permit Form (PDF) (4 pp, 20.5K)
Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation NPDES General Permit
Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations: Do I Need a Water Quality Permit?
Other CAFO Information
Large Farm Operations
CAFO General Permit (PDF) (34 pp, 1.6MB)
CAFO Inspection Checklist (PDF) (15 pp, 42K)
Nutrient Management Plans for Activities Covered Under the VPA General Permit for CAFOs (PDF) (1 pg, 53.6K)
WPDES Permit Program
WPDES Animal Waste Discharge Permits
NPDES Point Source Program