- Literature Review of Contaminants in Livestock and Poultry Manure and Implications for Water Quality (PDF)(137 pp, 1.5MB)
- Swine Greenhouse Gas Emissions Project: A Project by the University of Kansas
- Managing Animal Mortalities Series: Created by Oklahoma State University
- Veterinary Compliance Assistance - VetCA
- 2012 International By-Products Symposium
- Reporting Requirements for Air Releases from Farm Animal Waste
- Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasures (SPCC) Rule
- Preparing for Avian Flu
- Livestock Waste Management: A Project of the Conservation Technology Information Center
- Manure Management Planner
- Related Publications
- Animal Feeding Operations
- Sign Up for News Service
- Livestock and Poultry Environmental Learning Center (LPELC)
Information about environmental requirements specifically relating to the production of agricultural animals, including:
- Animal Feeding Operations
-- livestock-raising operations, including hog, cattle, dairy, sheep,
and poultry farms, that congregate animals, feed, waste, and production
operations on a small land area. AFOs can range from facilities with
a small number of animals to extremely large production facilities.
- EPA Animal Feeding Operation Air Agreement Update -- AFOs will participate
in a nationwide project to evaluate the air emissions from animal
- Aquaculture Operations
-- facilities that actively cultivate under
controlled conditions marine and freshwater aquatic organisms, such
as catfish, shrimp, salmon, scallops, oysters, and trout.
- Pasture, Rangeland, and Grazing Operations -- livestock-raising operations where the animals graze or otherwise seek food in pastures or other open areas.
Information from EPA
National Homeland Security Research Center
The National Homeland Security Research Center (NHSRC) develops and delivers reliable, responsive expertise and products based on scientific research and evaluations of technology. Our expertise and products are widely used to prevent, prepare for, and recover from public health and environmental emergencies arising from terrorist threats and incidents.
Information from Educational Institutions
Introduction to Animal Agriculture
These narrated powerpoint presentations were developed by the University of Minnesota Extension to orient new staff working in the area of animal agriculture. For each of the topics (swine, dairy, beef, manure, poultry, manure) there is a 10-18 minute narrated presentation.
Information from other organizations
Veterinary Compliance Assistance - VetCA
This site provides pollution prevention and compliance assistance information for the veterinary sector.
Animal Health and Food Safety Issues - CAST (Council for Agricultural Science and Technology
This site links to The Council for Agricultural Science and Technology's (CAST) new paper and companion video discussing the relationship between animal health and food safety. Given the current pressures by some activist groups to change the way animals are raised, this topic is a must-read for animal ag professionals. A Spanish version of the commentary is available.