EPA’s environmental justice mandate extends to all of the Office of Air and Radiation (OAR) work, including setting standards, permitting facilities, awarding grants, issuing regulations and reviewing proposed actions. The following information provides a more basic understanding of EPA's Committment to EJ and requirements for implementing mandates associated with the program.
Environmental Justice (EJ) is the fair treatment and meaningful involvement of all people regardless of race, color, national origin, or income with respect to the development, implementation, and enforcement of environmental laws, regulations, and policies. EPA has this goal for all communities and persons across this Nation. It will be achieved when everyone enjoys the same degree of protection from environmental and health hazards and equal access to the decision-making process to have a healthy environment in which to live, learn, and work.
- February 11, 1994, Executive Order 12898 on Environmental Justice (PDF) (6pp, 122k). The Executive Order requires, to the greatest extent practicable and permitted by law, Federal agencies to make environmental justice part of its mission by identifying and addressing disproportionately high and adverse human health or environmental effects of its programs, policies, and activities on minority populations and low-income populations.
- 2010-2004, EPA Action Plans and Progress Reports for Integrating Environmental Justice. EPA’s Environmental Justice Action Plans ("EJ Action Plans") establish measurable commitments that address the Agency's national environmental justice priorities.
- July 22, 2010, EPA releases Interim Guidance on Considering Environmental Justice During the Development of an Action (PDF) (55 pp, 1.2MB). The step-by-step guide helps EPA staff ask questions and evaluate environmental justice considerations at key points in the rulemaking process.
- November 2009, Reducing Air Emissions Associated With Goods Movement: Working Towards Environmental Justice (PDF) (48 pp, 1.9MB) and July 2010, EPA Response to Recommendations (PDF) (128 pp, 919K)
- March 26, 2004, Environmental Justice Program Comprehensive Management Study (PDF) (44pp, 526k) - As part of EPAís response to the Inspector Generalís (IG) Report No. 2004-P-00007 (PDF) (75pp, 663k), the Agency, through the Office of Environmental Justice (OEJ), agreed to conduct a management study and gather information on the organizational infrastructure, staffing and funding levels, and methods of accountability of each Headquarters program and Regional office.