Jump to main content.

Other Market Participants

What Do You Want to Do?

Under the Acid Rain Program anyone can trade allowances, including members of the general public without any affiliation with a regulated source. Some individuals and groups purchase allowances as an environmental statement, because withholding allowances from the market prevents those allowances from being used by utilities.

For more information on trading allowances, see:

To buy and sell allowances, anyone can open a general allowance account. Under the Acid Rain and CAIR Programs the owner of such an account is called the Authorized Account Representative. To open a general account, see the following form and instructions:


Local Navigation

Jump to main content.