Clean Air Markets
Laws and Regulations
Title IV of the Clean Air Act – Acid Deposition Control
Title IV of the 1990 Amendments to the Clean Air Act (CAA) mandates requirements for the control of acid deposition—also known as acid rain. The full document is available at Title IV – Acid Deposition Control (PDF)(68 pp. 157 K, About PDF). To view the entire Clean Air Act (CAA), visit EPA’s Clean Air Act page.
Acid Rain Program Regulations
The Acid Rain Program regulations are contained in 40 CFR Parts 72 through 78.
Note: There have been several changes to the Part 72 and Part 75 rules since the regulations were originally promulgated. For more information, visit the Emissions Monitoring section.
Use the following links to view the individual parts:
- Table of Contents 40 CFR Parts 72 – 78
- 40 CFR Part 72: Permits (PDF) (88 pp., 457 K)
- 40 CFR Part 73: Allowance System (PDF) (88 pp., 1.9 MB)
- 40 CFR Part 74: Opt-In (PDF) (254 pp., 1.1 MB)
- 40 CFR Part 75: Continuous Emissions Monitoring
- 40 CFR Part 76: NOx (PDF) (26 pp., 284 K)
- 40 CFR Part 77: Excess Emissions (PDF) (7 pp., 215 K)
- 40 CFR Part 78: Appeal Procedures (PDF) (11 pp., 209 K)