Acid Rain Program Resources
- Acid Rain Program Overview
- Continuous Emissions Monitoring Fact Sheet
- SO2 Allowances Fact Sheet
- Allowance Trading Basics Fact Sheet
- Allowance Auction Fact Sheet
- Annual Reconciliation Fact Sheet
- Opt-in Program Fact Sheet
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's About PDF page to learn more about PDF, and a link to the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Presentation by Sam Napolitano to the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC), February 14, 2006 (PDF) (11 pp., 6.7 MB)
- EPRI May 2, 2006 presentations
- "The Acid Rain Program Experience: Should We Be Concerned About SO2 Emissions Hotspots?" (Powerpoint, 891 K) Kinner, Amy and Rona Birnbaum, Presented at the Emissions Marketing Association Spring Meeting. New Orleans, LA. May 4, 2004
Staff Studies and Analyses
- The Acid Rain Program and Environmental Justice: Staff Analysis USEPA, September, 2005 (23 pp., 3.8 MB)
- Analysis of the Acid Deposition and Ozone Control Act (S. 172) (PDF) (85 pp., 3.1 MB)
- How to Measure the Effects of Acid Deposition: A Framework for Ecological Assessments, June, 2001, Clean Air Markets Division (PDF). EPA 430-R-01-005. (65 pp., 1.3 MB)
- Impacts of the Acid Rain Program on Coal Industry Employment. March 2001, Clean Air Markets Division, EPA (PDF). (52 pp., 354 K)
EPA Progress and Compliance Reports
- Acid Rain Program Progress and Compliance Reports
- Nitrogen: Multiple and Regional Impacts (PDF) (41 pp., 4.1 MB)
Non-EPA Articles and Reports
- National Acid Precipitation Assessment Report to Congress 2011: An Integrated Assessment. (PDF 14 MB) January, 2012.
- "The U.S. Acid Rain Program: Key Insights from the Design, Operation, and Assessment of a Cap-and-Trade Program. " The Electricity Journal, Vol. 20 Issue 7, August-September 2007, pp. 47-58.
2001 through 2006
- National Acid Precipitation Assessment Report to Congress: An Integrated Assessment (PDF). (98 pp., 3 MB) August 2005.
- A Fresh Look at the Benefits and Costs of the US Acid Rain Program (PDF). (15 pp., 503 KB) Journal of Environmental Management 77 (2005) 252-266; Lauraine G. Chestnut, David M. Mills, May 2005.
- "Valuation of Natural Resource Improvements in the Adirondacks, (PDF) " (47 pp., 1.5 MB) Banzhaf, Spencer, and Dallas Burtraw, David Evans, and Alan Krupnick, Resources for the Future, September, 2004.
- “Acid Rain, The Green Lane:” Environment Canada. 2002.
- “Acid Rain Revisited: advances in scientific understanding since the passage of the 1970 and 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments,” Hubbard Brook Research Foundation (PDF)(24 pp., 2.5 MB). Science Links Publication. Vol. 1.1 (2001).
- "Allowance Trading and Potential Hot Spots - Good News from the Acid Rain Program (PDF)" (9 pp., 25 K), Swift, Byron, 31 Environment Reporter, pp. 954-959, May 12, 2000. (Copyright 2000 by The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc.)
- From Obstacle to Opportunity: How acid rain emissions trading is delivering cleaner air (PDF) , (45 pp., 1.4 MB) September 2000, Environmental Defense.
- "Nitrogen in the Nation's Rain, (PDF) " (41 pp., 4.1 MB) A Report from the National Atmospheric Deposition Program. 2000
- Acid Rain: Current and Projected Status of Coldwater Fish Communities in the Southeastern US in the Conext of Continued Acid Deposition (PDF), (32 pp., 418 K) Bulger, Art, Jack Cosby, and Rick Webb, For Trout Unlimited, June 1998.
- Sulfur-Dioxide Control By Electric Utilities: What Are the Gains from Trade? (PDF) (16 pp., 935 K) Curtis Carlson, Dallas Burtraw, Maureen Cropper, and Karen L. Palmer, July 1998, Revised April 2000, Resources for the Future, discussion paper # 98-44-REV.
- “Acid Rain and Our Nations Capital,” McGee, Elaine. United States Geological Survey (USGS). 1997.
- Emissions Trading Under the US Acid Rain Program: Evaluation of Compliance Costs and Allowance Market Performance (PDF), (66 pp., 366 K) Ellerman, A. Denny, Richard Schmalensee, Paul Joskow, Juan Pablo Montero, and Elizabeth Bailey, MIT Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research, Cambridge, MA, October 1997.
- "Joint Implementation: Lessons from Title IV's Voluntary Compliance Programs. (PDF) " (54 pp., 241 K) Atkeson, Erica, (WP-97003) Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research, MIT, May 1997.
- "The Effects of Title IV of the Clean Air Act Amendments on Electric Utilities: An Update, " Energy Information Administration, March 1997.
- "Allowance Trading Activity and State Regulatory Rulings: Evidence from the U.S. Acid Rain Program (PDF)" (38 pp., 169 K) , Bailey, Elizabeth M., (WP-98005) Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research, MIT, March 1998. Update of 1996 paper.
- "Trends in Precipitation Chemistry in the United States, 1983-1994: An Analysis of the Effects in 1995 of Phase I of the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990, Title IV, " Lynch, James A., Van C. Bowersox, and Jeffrey W. Grimm, U.S. Geological Survey, USGS 96-0346, Washington, DC, June 1996.