Community Action for a Renewed Environment (CARE)
- Coming in October: FY 2014 Environmental Justice Small Grants Program Request for Applications.
- Promising Practices to Improve Community Performance and Sustainability: Part II, Tips for Better Care (PDF) (38pp, 8.9 MB) is now available.
- EPA is offering a Grants 101 Tutorial to assist communities in understanding the grants process
- Videos are available for two CARE projects in Hawaii and New York
- What businesses are saying about CARE
- Learn how our CARE Communities are making a difference and using innovative ways to create healthier environments! (PDF) (32pp, 3.9 MB, About PDF )
NAPA Evaluation of CARE
Community Action for a Renewed Environment (CARE) is a competitive grant program that offers an innovative way for a community to organize and take action to reduce toxic pollution in its local environment. Through CARE, a community creates a partnership that implements solutions to reduce releases of toxic pollutants and minimize people's exposure to them. By providing financial and technical assistance, EPA helps CARE communities get on the path to a renewed environment.
Currently, there are no plans to publish a Request for Proposal for the CARE program due to lack of congressional funding. The CARE principles are being integrated across other Agency community-based programs to preserve the good practices and lessons learned. The Agency is incorporating lessons from the CARE program as part of EPA’s Theme and Cross-Agency Strategy “Making a Visible Difference in Communities”. To learn more about this theme and strategy, please visit: (http://www2.epa.gov/aboutepa/epas-themes-meeting-challenge-ahead) (http://www2.epa.gov/planandbudget/strategicplan) pages 57-59
Explore the CARE Program:
Basic Information - An overview of the CARE program including its goals and strategies.
Cooperative Agreements - Information on funding available through the CARE program.
Community Profiles - Descriptions of community projects undertaken through CARE.
Resource Guide - The CARE Resource Guide is a tool to help you find information related to community-based environmental protection.
Publications - A listing of documents that provide information about, and are relevant to the CARE program.
CDC/ATSDR Collaboration - Information on EPA’s and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s joint effort to support community environmental and health goals.
Community Action for Environmental Public Health - This site assist communities in addressing environment health concerns by improving access to federal and other environmental health resources, tools, and information.
See also the Added Benefits for CARE Communities.