Portland Cement Manufacturing
EPA Finalizes Amendments to Air Toxics Standards for Portland Cement Manufacturing
December 20, 2012 - In response to a federal court decision, petitions for reconsideration and technical information received after final rules were issued in 2010, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) finalized amendments to the agency’s air toxics rules for Portland cement manufacturing. The amended rule will maintain dramatic reductions of mercury, acid gases, particulate matter and total hydrocarbons from existing cement kilns across the country, while ensuring that emissions from new kilns remain low.
- Final Rule (PDF) (50pp, 773k) - Federal Register - February 12, 2013
- Fact Sheet (PDF) (4pp, 389k)
- Rule Guidance Document (PDF) (12pp, 209k)
August 3, 2012 – EPA announced a public hearing on the proposed amendments to air toxics standards and new source performance standards for Portland cement manufacturing.
- Hearing notice (PDF) (2pp, 176k) - Federal Register - August 3, 2012
- List of preregistered speakers (PDF) (4pp, 94k)
EPA proposes amendments to air rules for Portland cement manufacturing
June 22, 2012 - EPA proposed amendments to the air toxics standards and new source performance standards for Portland cement manufacturing. These amendments would adjust the way cement kilns continuously monitor particulate matter (PM) emissions, would adjust certain emissions limits and would change the air toxics rule compliance deadline for existing kilns. EPA is making the proposed changes in response to a federal court decision and petitions for reconsideration.
May 11, 2011 – Petitions for reconsideration
- Notice granting in part, and denying in part (PDF) (9pp, 176k) - Federal Register - May 17, 2011
- Fact sheet (PDF) (3pp, 72k)
January 11, 2011 – Direct final rule and parallel proposal to clarify compliance dates and clarify that previously issued emission limits that were changed in the September 9, 2010 action remain in effect until sources are required to comply with the revised limits.
- Direct final rule (PDF) (6pp, 171k) - Federal Register - January 18, 2011
- Parallel proposal (PDF) (4pp, 159k) - Federal Register - January 18, 2011
August 9, 2010 – Final new source performance standards and air toxics standards
June 9, 2009 – Comment period extension and public hearings on proposed amendments to air toxics standards for Portland cement manufacturing.
- Notice (PDF) (2pp, 72k) - Federal Register - June 9, 2009
April 21, 2009 - Proposed amendments to air toxics standards for Portland cement manufacturing
May 30, 2008 – Proposed amendments to new source performance standards