Each permitting authority (State, local, tribal, or EPA) collects fees from sources required to obtain operating permits. These fees must be sufficient to fund all reasonable permit program costs.
Part 70 - States may use “Presumptive Minimum Fee“ or any other fee schedule approved into their program.
- EPA considers the program funding to be presumptively adequate if fees are collected at the presumptive minimum,
- If presumptively adequate, EPA did not require a detailed fee analysis in operating program submittal,
- This presumptive fee rate was initially set at $ 25/ton of emissions per year,
- This amount has been adjusted for inflation in September of each year,
- Each adjusted fee is effective from September 1 until August 31 of the following year,
- States are not required to adopt the presumptive minimum, so check with your State or local agency for the appropriate fee rate for your location.
Part 71 - Part 71 Annual Fee applies to all part 71 sources:
- Fee initially set at $32/ton (1996),
- Adjusted for inflation every year in September,
- Effective for the calendar year (different from the part 70 fee)
- Fee Rate is slightly different from the part 70 fee because of different basis
Part 71 Annual Fee for 2011 (PDF) (1pg, 11 kb)
Part 71 Annual Fee for 2012 (PDF) (1pg, 11 kb)
Part 71 Annual Fee for 2013 (PDF) (1pg, 11 kb)