Atmospheric Modeling and Analysis Research
Fertilizer Emission Scenario Tool for CMAQ (FEST-C)
The Fertilizer Emission Scenario Tool for CMAQ (FEST-C) is a high-end computer interface designed to facilitate the definition and simulation of new cropland farm management system scenarios or editing of existing scenarios to drive Environmental Policy Integrated Climate model (EPIC) simulations. For the standard 12km continental Community Multi-Scale Air Quality model (CMAQ) domain, this amounts to about 250,000 simulations for the U.S. alone. It also produces gridded daily EPIC weather input files from existing hourly Meteorology-Chemistry Interface Processor (MCIP) files, transforms EPIC output files to CMAQ-ready input files and links directly to Visual Environment for Rich Data Interpretation (VERDI) for spatial visualization of input and output files. The December 2012 release will perform all these functions for any CMAQ grid scale or domain. The interface will be released through CMAS.
The major functions of the interface tool include:
- MCIP/CMAQ to EPIC : This option converts hourly MCIP gridded weather files to daily EPIC input files. It also produces a NetCDF file of the EPIC daily input that can be visualized using VERDI.
- Generate Soil/Management Files: This option creates and assigns appropriate site, agricultural soil and crop management scenarios to each grid cell whenever a new grid resolution or domain is requested.
- View/Edit EPIC Input Files: This option allows the user to edit existing management files globally, by crop, or by USDA crop farm production area.
- EPIC run: Submits either a 25-year spinup or a year-specific EPIC simulation.
- EPIC SPINUP Extraction: This option creates a NetCDF output file containing either the average of the last 5 years of the 25 year EPIC spinup or an annual year-specific simulation that can then be visualized using VERDI.
- EPIC to CMAQ: This option transforms the standard EPIC daily output information into CMAQ-ready input files. These files can then be reviewed using VERDI prior to input to CMAQ.
- Visualization: The option provides a direct link to the VERDI visualization tool.