Jump to main content or area navigation.

Contact Us



Mine-Scarred Lands Initiative Tool Kit: Federal and State Programs

Federal Programs

Federal funding sources cover a broad scope of activities associated with mine revitalization. Some provide planning support, while others can be used for assessment, cleanup, infrastructure development or recreational development.

The Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance provides access to a database of all federal assistance programs available. It includes grants, loans and technical assistance such as training. You cannot apply for an assistance program through this Web site, but instead must contact the office that administers the program and find out how to apply.

The six demonstration projects highlight a range of resources that are described in the following tables.

State Programs

States have a range of resources that can be used for mine-scarred lands revitalization. Although state programs vary, almost every state has a Brownfields program and infrastructure programs. Information about programs is generally available on state Web sites. Another helpful resource is EPA’s State of the State Report.


AML Home | Basic Information | Where You Live | AML Site Information
Policy & Guidance | Technical Resources | Revitalization & Reuse
Mineral Processing Sectors | Related Links | States | Tribes | Glossary