Mine-Scarred Lands Initiative Tool Kit: Project Examples for Identifying and Engaging Partners and Stakeholders
Tool Kit Links
Engaging Partners to Develop a Well-Rounded Project Team:
The Beatty Renewable Energy Project
The possibility of developing solar power in southern Nye County, Nevada had been discussed for a long time. The Nye County Natural Resources Office proposed using the Bullfrog Mine property for renewable energy development early in 2004. However, the project did not take shape until partners like the Nevada Energy Office, U.S. Department of Energy, Bureau of Land Management and renewable energy laboratories became involved. The MSL Initiative partners engaged a few critical partners who became excited about the project and discussed it with their colleagues. The list of partners continued to expand as information about the project was shared broadly by word of mouth.
Project Leadership to Coordinate Stakeholders:
The Stone Creek Project
The Daniel Boone Soil and Conservation District and the Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy, were instrumental in coordinating the support of state and local agencies and stakeholders to provide resources for the Stone Creek revitalization project. Collectively, they coordinated with and obtained support from the following project partners:
- Office of Surface Mining (OSM) and the Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) cooperated to fund an intern to apply for a Brownfields Assessment grant for the broader region.
- U.S. EPA conducted a Phase I and II Targeted Brownfields Assessment on the property.
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to provide funds for purchasing the property, and cleanup and redevelopment.
- National Fish and Wildlife Foundation to provide funds for constructing the outdoor classroom.
- Virginia Department of Transportation to perform stream bank restoration.
- Lee County Board of Supervisors and Lee County School Board to write a letter of commitment to use the property for an outdoor classroom.
- The Virginia Department of Forestry to provide seedling for a riparian zone planting.