Burn Wise is an educational campaign that encourages people to burn only dry, seasoned wood or wood pellets and includes messages about cost savings, improved safety and health benefits. Because being more energy efficient means burning less wood, reducing smoke and polluting less.
Wood smoke education is an important component for reducing particle pollution in your community. Engaging the public and giving them the tools to make the right decisions about what they burn and how they burn is the first step in an overall wood smoke plan. With proper burning techniques and well-seasoned wood, emissions (even in older appliances) can be significantly reduced. While many new appliances will pollute less than older appliances, it is important to emphasize that how a user operates their new appliance is equally important in maximizing energy efficiency and reducing emissions. Even more efficient and cleaner-burning appliances can cause pollution if operated improperly.
|You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.|
Public Service Announcements
EPA has several video public service announcements (PSAs) and live-read PSAs available for use on the radio. Learn More!
Burn Wise Campaign Materials
EPA has developed the following outreach materials for air quality agencies, chimney sweeps, hearth retailers and others who want to promote the Burn Wise message. The following materials are free to use and most are available for bulk shipping.
EPA Resources for Air Quality Regulators
- Wet Wood is a Waste Brochure (PDF) (2pp, 881k)
- Your Old Wood Stove's Dirty Little Secret Brochure (2011) (PDF) (2pp, 3.4MB)
- Your Old Wood Stove's Dirty Little Secret Poster (PDF) (1pg, 3.0 MB)
- Don’t Let Your Investment Go up in Smoke - Tear Sheet (PDF) (1pg, 126k)
- "Learn Before You Burn" Tear Sheet (PDF) (1pg, 239k)
- "Learn Before You Burn" Reminder Post Card (PDF) (2 pg, 2.8MB)
- Modular wood shed plans and materials list (PDF) (2pp, 205k)
If you would like additional Burn Wise information, contact Leigh Herrington, email@example.com or 919-541-0882.
"Learn Before You Burn" Tear Sheet Pads and other materials are available for bulk shipping. Contact EPA's Publication Warehouse to order large quantities of the following:
- "Learn Before You Burn" Tear Sheet Pad (Document #456K09001)
- Burn Wise Tip Sheet (Document #450R10001)
- Your Old Wood Stove's Dirty Little Secrets Brochure (Document #450F08001)