Careers and Internships
EPA Region 7 Office (Lenexa, Kansas) Internship
Note for Applicants Who Have Already Submitted an Application
If you applied to this internship on or before Friday, May 17, please resubmit your application. Technical difficulties may have prevented your application from reaching us. We have corrected the problem, and the deadline has been extended to May 31, 2013.
Social Media Coordination
EPA Region 7?s Office of Public Affairs, located in Lenexa, Kansas, is seeking a volunteer intern to work on social media coordination who is motivated, hard-working, and interested in helping the EPA protect human health and the environment.? Under supervision, the intern will:
- write, edit, and schedule posts for websites and social media platforms via social media management software;
- monitor social media networks and web communication channels, while interpreting and routing questions from the public to the appropriate subject matter experts;
- attend communication and campaign strategy meetings;
- assist in the planning and creation of written, visual, and audio online content that conveys the messages of EPA Region 7; and
- assist in the pre-production, production, and post-production of multimedia products for internal and external consumption.
Applicants must be:
- Age 16 or older and at least one of the following:
- Enrolled at least half-time in an accredited high school, trade school, technical or vocational school, junior or community college, four-year college or university, or any other accredited educational institution. Note: students must be enrolled for the next semester if volunteering over the summer or winter breaks, or
- A military service member that enrolled in the Department of Defense?s Operation Warfighter Program, or
- A veteran of the United States Armed Forces who is enrolled in the Department of Veteran Affairs? Non-paid Work Experience Program.
Duration and Time Commitment
- Length of volunteer internship may vary based on student availability.
- Approximately 20 hours per week.
Desired Qualifications and Skills
- Social media management or conceptual understanding
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Basic public affairs or marketing principles
- In-depth understanding and usage of a variety of internet platforms (Various Browsers, mobile technology, Twitter, Facebook, Scribd, blogging, etc.)
- Visual/graphic design
- Video production
- Layout design
This volunteer internship is unpaid; however, we will provide you with an office phone and computer.? Volunteer interns may be eligible for subsidy reimbursement for the use of public transportation.
- Learn about:
- internal and external organizational communication,
- social media management and planning,
- digital media design,
- public affairs,
- photojournalism, and
- new media journalism.
- Gain experience working with scientific, environmental, and government experts responsible for protecting human health and the environment.
- Learn how the federal government operates and have a chance to see and participate first-hand in important and meaningful work products.
- Participate in an EPA orientation session, have the opportunity to attend brownbags, and receive an EPA mentor.
How to Apply
To apply to this volunteer internship opportunity, e-mail the information below to R7internships@epa.gov.? Please let us know in your email if you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability in order to apply for this position.
- Cover letter (including dates, hours, and duration available)
- Transcript and/or other proof of enrollment or admittance to educational institution
- Letter from school (verifying that opportunity will further the intern?s education goals)
Military Service Members and Veterans
- Proof of enrollment in the DOD?s Operation Warfighter Program, or
- Proof of enrollment in the VA?s Non-paid Work Experience Program
This volunteer opportunity will be open until May 31, 2013, but may close sooner depending on the quantity of applications received. Applicants selected for the position or for an interview will be notified.?