On March 13, 2009, EPA provided new software called RMP*eSubmit for facilities to use for online RMP reporting. EPA asks that all facilities use this new method to submit RMPs to improve data quality and to enable you to access your RMP 24 hours day, 7 days a week.
EPA periodically holds internet Webinars on the RMP*eSubmit system. Please check this page occasionally for announcements on future Webinars and registration information.
- How do I set up an RMP*eSubmit account?
- Note for New Jersey Facilities
- Users' Manual for RMP*eSubmit (118 pp, 3.7MB, About PDF) and Appendices (PDF) (44 pp, 403K, About PDF)
- A Checklist for Submitting your Risk Management Plan (PDF) (7 pp, 132K, About PDF)
- Access RMP*eSubmit (Note: You must already have an RMP*eSubmit account to use this link)
- Can I still use RMP*Submit 2004?
- What if I am submitting Confidential Business Information (CBI) or Trade Secrets?
- How do I Resubmit, Correct, De-register, or Withdrawal an existing RMP?
- For More Information
How do I set up an RMP*eSubmit account?
You will need a JavaRuntime environment to use the RMP*eSubmit system. To learn more about JavaRuntime, see
Java Downloads page
- Important Definitions
- Before you begin
- Step 1: Register the Certifying Official in CDX
- Step 2: Complete the Electronic Signature Agreement and mail it to EPA
- Step 3: Register the "Preparer" and activate RMP*eSubmit access in CDX
Central Data Exchange (CDX) is a secure, on-line location on EPA's network. CDX provides standardized and secure information collection services and infrastructure for EPA program partners. For example, CDX manages several EPA regulatory and monitoring programs, receiving submissions from facilities. Once you set up your RMP*eSubmit account, you will immediately be able to access your RMP through CDX.
Certifiers/Certifying Officials are facility owners or operators who must certify the accuracy and completeness of the information reported in the RMP. They have signed and submitted a one-time Electronic Signature Agreement (ESA) to the EPA. The ESA legally binds the Certifier's electronic submission to their signature. Only Certifiers can submit the RMP.
Preparers have been granted permission by a facility to access the facility's existing RMP. They prepare data for a new or updated RMP. CDX notifies the Certifier when the new or corrected RMP is ready for the Certifier's review and submission. Preparers cannot submit the RMP. Currently a facility can have only one designated Preparer, however an individual Preparer can prepare RMPs for multiple facilities.
- Your facility name, location, mailing address, and basic contact information (including e-mail address).
- Your facility identifier (facility ID#) which can be found in the letter that EPA sent to you acknowledging receipt of your most current RMP.
- NOTE: If this is the first time an RMP is being submitted for your facility you do not need a facility ID#.
- To use RMP*eSubmit, the Certifying Official must have a CDX account.
- To register with CDX, please go to the EPA CDX page (http://cdx.epa.gov), and complete the registration process for a Risk Management Plan "certifying official." (See Users' Manual for RMP*eSubmit (121 pp, 2.7MB, About PDF) for detailed instructions).
- In order to create a CDX account and/or access the CDX log-in page, please make sure that your Web browser is enabled for TLS 1.0. This can be done by checking the security settings for your Internet browser and making sure that the TLS 1.0 option is selected and enabled. If you need additional assistance, please contact the CDX Help Desk: 1-888-890-1995 or 970-494-5500 (8:00 AM � 6:00 PM EST). The CDX Help Desk can also be reached via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The electronic signature is used to verify that the Certifying Official reviewed and submitted the RMP in the RMP*eSubmit system.
- You will complete the ESA at the time you initially register in CDX, or, if you already had a CDX account, at the time you add RMP*eSubmit access to your CDX account profile.
- CDX will guide you through the process of completing and submitting your ESA. You will need your Facility ID#, unless this is the first time an RMP is being submitted for your facility. If this is a first-time submission, CDX will prompt you to type in the name and address of the facility in place of the facility ID#. You will receive a facility ID# via e-mail after you have signed and submitted your ESA.
- Sign the ESA and mail it to EPA's RMP Reporting Center. The RMP Reporting Center will review and process the ESA, and send an e-mail to the Certifying Official indicating that the electronic signature has been received and approved.
- NOTE: The e-mail will also include a unique Authorization Code. This Authorization Code will be used by an RMP "preparer" that you assign to enter data in RMP*eSubmit for your facility.
- If the Certifying Official is also the Preparer: log into CDX, add "Preparer" to your profile, and enter your Unique Authorization Code.
- If the Certifying Official designates someone else as the Preparer, please provide that designee with the Authorization Code for your facility. Preparers will be required to provide this information when registering and activating their RMP*eSubmit access in CDX.
Note for New Jersey Facilities
NJ*RMP is additional software you will need for submitting your NJ RMP to New Jersey. For details, please see the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection page.
Can I still use RMP*Submit 2004?
RMP*Submit 2004 (not to be confused with the new, online process, RMP*eSubmit), will be phased out in 2009, and is no longer available for download from this website. We encourage you to use RMP*eSubmit because it is easier to use, will improve data quality and will enable you to access your RMP 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Submissions prepared using RMP*Submit will be accepted until January 2010. Facilities submitting Confidential Business Information (CBI) and Trade Secrets cannot use RMP*eSubmit at this time - they should contact the RMP Reporting Center for submission options.
What if I am submitting Confidential Business Information (CBI) or Trade Secrets?
Facilities submitting CBI and Trade Secrets cannot use RMP*eSubmit at this time. Please contact the RMP Reporting Center for submission options.
How do I Resubmit, Correct, De-register or Withdrawal an existing RMP?
You may resubmit, correct, or withdraw an RMP using RMP*eSubmit.
- Submitting a Risk Management Plan with RMP*eSubmit
- Re-submitting, Correcting, De-registering or Withdrawing an RMP
Facilities submitting Confidential Business Information (CBI) and Trade Secrets cannot use RMP*eSubmit at this time. Please contact the RMP Reporting Center for submission options.
For More Information
- Superfund, TRI, EPCRA, RMP & Oil Information Center - The Information Center can also answer questions related to Clean Air Act section 112(r) and RMP reporting requirements.
- RMP Reporting Center - The Reporting Center can answer questions about software or installation problems.