In the Workforce
"Now for the first time in our nation's history, women are half of all U.S. workers and mothers are the primary breadwinners or co-breadwinners in nearly two-thirds of American families. This is a dramatic shift from just a generation ago (in 1967 women made up only one-third of all workers). It changes how women spend their days and has a ripple effect that reverberates throughout our nation. It fundamentally changes how we all work and live, not just women but also their families, their co-workers, their bosses, their faith institutions, and their communities."
– Heather Boushey and Ann O'Leary, The Shriver Report
Quality of Life tool kit:
The Quality of Life Tool Kit is a new on-line resource available for employees who are interested in EPA's family-friendly polices and services and other Quality of Life resources. The Tool Kit was developed by the EPA Federal Women's Program (FWP) to provide a comprehensive source that provides contacts for EPA locations nationwide and enables employees to readily learn more about family-friendly resources available to them.
Quality of Life topics included in the Tool Kit are:
- Alternative Work Schedules (AWS) – Flexible, compressed work schedules, job sharing
and telecommuting programs
- Family and Medical Leave Act – Sick leave, adoption and leave bank programs
- Employee Counseling and Assistance Program – Professional and confidential
- Dependent Care – Child and elder care programs
- Wellness Programs – Maternal wellness (lactation) and fitness programs
- Transit Subsidy – Carpool and other commuting incentive programs
- Special Incentive Programs – Cash, time off and other incentive award programs
- Retirement Planning – Resources in retirement planning
Establishing a balance between work and family
EPA's campus in RTP is especially proud of our family-friendly workplace. On five separate occasions, EPA-RTP has been recognized by Carolina Parent Magazine as a North Carolina Family-Friendly Top 50 Company (used to be called Top 40). To learn more about this recognition and the EPA programs that helped EPA win this award, visit www.carolinaparent.com.
EPA-RTP has also been awarded the Alfred P. Sloane Award for Flexible Workplaces. We offer many family-friendly options that help with employee recruitment, retention and morale. To emphasize this point, Kelly Leovic wrote a blog last fall on our family-friendly workplace that can be viewed here.
Report: Workforce Demographics For FY2009
Women continue to be an underrepresented demographic in the Federal government.
- U.S. EPA Workforce Status and Analysis Report Headquarters As of September 30, 2009 (PDF) (1 pg, 66K, About PDF)
- U.S. EPA Comparative Workforce Analysis Headquarters September 30, 2008 - September 30, 2009 (PDF) (1 pg, 64K, About PDF)
- U.S. EPA Workforce Status and Analysis Report Regions As of September 30, 2009 (PDF) (1 pg, 66K, About PDF)
- U.S. EPA Comparative Workforce Analysis Regions September 30, 2008 - September 30, 2009 (PDF) (1 pg, 60K, About PDF)