Center for Corporate Climate Leadership
Application Process, Eligibility, and Evaluation Criteria
Climate Leadership Awards
- About the CLA
- 2014 Award Winners
- 2013 Award Winners
- 2012 Award Winners
- Application Process, Eligibility and Evaluation Criteria
- Frequent Questions
- Awards and Conference
- About the Partners
Applicants for all categories of the Climate Leadership Awards program must meet the following criteria as well as any additional eligibility requirements specified within each category.
- Applicants must meet one of the following descriptions:
- Legally-recognized corporate organizations with annual revenue over $100 million; or
- Governmental entities or academic organizations with annual budgets over $100 million.
- Applicants must have significant operations in the United States. Given the global nature of climate change, the majority of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reductions do not have to occur in the U.S.
- Individual Leadership Award applicants must be employees of an organization that meets the above requirements.
- Finalists will need to pass an EPA compliance screen in order to be selected.
- Leadership activities must have taken place between January 1, 2011 and September 13, 2013.
Applicants must publicly report a comprehensive GHG inventory, which accounts for all GHG emissions from scope 1 & 2 sources, at minimum, and is third-party verified to a "limited" level of assurance or critically reviewed by a third-party. (Beginning with the 2015 awards, third-party verification for 2014 inventories and beyond will need to be consistent with ISO 14064-3, conducted by a verification body accredited to ISO 14065, and meet a "reasonable" level of assurance.)
An application form was made available on the corresponding web page for each category when the application period opened in late June, 2013. Applicants were asked to fill out the form and to submit it using an online tool. The application form requires applicants to answer a set of questions specific to the awards category. Applicants were asked to review the step-by-step instructions that were made available on the category pages linked to below.
Early Bird Application Review
Fully completed applications received by the early bird application deadline of August 7, 2013 were reviewed by the EPA, ACCO, C2ES, and The Registry for clarity. All early bird applicants were notified by August 16, 2013 of requests for clarifications. If clarifications were requested, the applicant had until September 13, 2013 to resubmit the application. Applications submitted after the early bird application deadline were not reviewed in advance of the September 13, 2013 final deadline.
Evaluation criteria differ by awards category. Please select from the following:
- Organizational Leadership Award
- Individual Leadership Award
- Supply Chain Leadership Award
- Excellence in Greenhouse Gas Management (Goal Achievement Award)
- Excellence in Greenhouse Gas Management (Goal Setting Certificate)
Judging and Evaluation
Applications will be reviewed by EPA, ACCO, C2ES and The Registry in collaboration with independent committees of recognized experts. EPA will review all applicants to ensure that they are in good standing with EPA. Award winners will be notified in late December 2013 and will be recognized at the Climate Leadership Awards Conference on February 25, 2014 in San Diego, California (held in conjunction with the Climate Leadership Conference, which is scheduled for February 24-26, 2014).