Climate Change In Focus Video Contest
Climate Change Facts and Resources: Ideas to Get You Started on Your Video Masterpiece
Climate change is a big topic! Here are some facts, resources, and questions to consider as you start planning your video. Feel free to borrow from these points, explore the links to learn more, and ponder the questions to personalize your video. Check out the terms at the end of this page for an overview of key terms and concepts.
Why should you care about climate change?
1) The signs of climate change are all around us.
Here a few of the signs of climate change we’re seeing now:
Visit our Signs of Climate Change web pages to learn more about the signs of climate change, and see the trends over the decades.
2) The climate you will inherit as adults will be different from your parents' and grandparents' climate.
Climate change means serious impacts on…
- Our health...Through longer allergy seasons, increased number of heat-related illnesses, and increased air pollution that can worsen asthma.
- The spread of disease... Warmer temperatures can expand the ranges and lifespans of disease-spreading mosquitoes and ticks.
- Heat waves and droughts... Climate change increases the frequency and intensity of heat waves and droughts. Heat waves increase energy costs for households, lead to blackouts and brownouts, and threaten human health and safety. Droughts can drive up food prices, limit hydroelectricity supplies, and affect manufacturing operations that rely on water to run their businesses.
- Wildfires... With climate change increasing the likelihood of hot, dry weather in many parts of the country, the risk of wildfires is expected to increase.
- Storms... In much of the country, more precipitation will fall in intense, short bursts such as blizzards and downpours, which can lead to flooding. In addition, scientists expect that hurricanes will become more intense, with higher wind speeds and heavier rains.
3) Now is the time to act on climate change.
Reducing carbon pollution, and preparing for the changes that are already underway, is key to solving climate change and reducing the risks we face in the future. A major way carbon pollution gets into the atmosphere is when people burn coal, oil, and natural gas for energy. Everyone uses energy so everyone can be part of the solution!
What actions are you and your community taking to prepare for climate change?
- 1) Many families, schools, communities, businesses, and states are already taking action
to reduce carbon pollution and protect themselves and their property from the risks associated with climate change. Discover what actions you and your community can take on the web pages Be Part of the Solution! and What You Can Do: At School.
Choose a region or topic and then click on the adaptation tab on the web page Climate Change Impacts and Adapting to Change
- 2) Small actions, such as walking to school, smart energy use, and smart water use, can add up to big reductions in carbon pollution over time.
Use our online calculator to determine your carbon emissions and the amount of carbon pollution you can reduce.
Questions to consider
As you are writing your video script, think about how climate change relates to you. Make it personal! Here are some questions to consider as you brainstorm...
- 1) Has your community experienced excessive heat or extreme weather? How did it affect them, or affect you?
Is your community prepared to handle more extreme weather events? Climate change will make some extreme weather events more common.
- 2) Do you know if your state or city is taking action to reduce carbon pollution?
- 3) Is your community preparing for climate change?
What actions are they taking to prepare?
Have fun with your video!
View this page as a PDF: Climate Change Facts and Resources: Ideas to Get You Started on Your Video Masterpiece (2 pp, 479K, About PDF)