Documents, Tools & Resources
Documents, Tools & Resources
- Identifying Opportunities for Coal Mine Methane Recovery at U.S. Coal Mines: Profiles of Selected Gassy Underground Coal Mines 2002-2006 (PDF, Jan. 2009) (207 pp, 1.2MB, About PDF)
- U.S. Abandoned Coal Mine Methane Recovery Project Opportunities (PDF) (61 pp, 2.1MB, About PDF)
- Coal Mine Methane Global Overview, prepared by CMOP on behalf of the Global Methane Initiative Coal Subcommittee
- Thermal Oxidation of Coal Mine Ventilation Air Methane (PDF) (6 pp, 197K, About PDF)
- Technical Options Series
CMOP strives to provide users with the necessary tools to maximize profitable methane reductions. Support documents are available for categories of general information, U.S. activities, international activities, technical guidance, and finance and policy.
- Active Underground Mines
- Abandoned Underground Mines
- Active Surface Mines
- CMM Recovery and Utilization
- Ventilation Air Methane (VAM)
- U.S. Policy and Finance
EPA Tools and Resources
- Coal Mine Methane Recovery at Active U.S. Coal Mines: Current Projects and Potential Opportunities provides information about current projects and potential opportunities to develop CMM recovery and utilization projects at active U.S. coal mines.
- Coal Mine Methane Project Cash Flow Model Beta Version enables you to evaluate the potential economic viability of recovering and beneficially using CMM at a specific site in one of eight ways.
- Interactive Unit Converter allows you to convert figures among the many different units of measure in reference to CMM, power generation, etc.
- Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator allows you to translate greenhouse gas reductions into a more commonplace term.
External Tools and Resources
- International Coal Mine Methane Projects Database contains information on over two hundred coal mine methane recovery and utilization projects operating, in development, or planned around the world.
- Best Practice Guidance for Effective Methane Drainage and Use in Coal Mines This UNECE/GMI publication provides a genuine contribution to improving mine safety practices at active underground coal mines, by supporting safer mining practices to reduce fatalities, injuries, and property losses.
- Department of Energy (DOE) domestic energy prices This link offers access to DOE's Short-Term Energy Outlook, an annual document that contains various data on domestic electricity and natural gas prices.
- United States Coalbed Methane maps The two maps accessible from this DOE Web site show the location and size of CBM fields, CBM production, coal basins, and both abandoned and active gassy coal mines.
- 2006 IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories, Volume 2 - Energy, Chapter 4 - Fugitive Emissions (PDF) (78 pp, 693K, About PDF) provides methodologies for estimating emissions from active underground and surface coal mining, abandoned underground coal mines, and post-mining emissions.
- NIOSH's methane control and prediction (MCP) software for longwall coal mines is intended to predict ventilation emissions from longwall mines and optimal degasification design for a longwall panel, and to assesses the production performance of gob gas ventholes.
- World Coal Institute
- U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) Data Retrieval System for U.S. mines
- IEA Clean Coal Centre Web site
- Australia Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization