Animal Feeding Operations Air Agreements
(Washington, D.C. - January 13, 2011) The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is making data publicly available from a two-year study of air emissions from animal feeding operations (AFOs). AFOs, which house large numbers of animals for production of meat, dairy products and eggs, were monitored for the following air pollutants: ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, particulate matter and volatile organic compounds.
The data available today are from the National Air Emissions Monitoring Study, which resulted from a 2005 voluntary compliance agreement between EPA and the AFO industry. The study was funded by industry and conducted by Purdue University researchers with EPA oversight. Throughout the studies, participating AFOs made their operations available for monitoring and worked closely with the researchers, industry experts and EPA.
- Press Release (01/13/11)
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced the Air Quality Compliance Agreement on Jan. 21, 2005. The primary goals of the Air Quality Compliance Agreement are:
- Reduce air pollution
- Ensure compliance with applicable Clean Air Act, Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) and Environmental Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA) provisions
- Monitor and evaluate AFO emissions
- Promote a national consensus on methodologies for estimating emissions from AFOs.
Related documents are provided below:
- CERCLA/EPCRA Administrative Reporting Exemption for Air Releases of Hazardous Substances from Animal Waste at Farms - Information on the Final Rule (PDF) (2 pp, 57K, About PDF) (02/09)
- Summary of the AFO Air Compliance Agreement Participants (48 pp, 975K, About PDF) (02/23/09)
- Large Animal Feeding Operations: Reducing Their Impact on Air Quality (PDF) Volume 9, Number 4 (August 2008) (EPA 325-F-08-001) (4 pp, 228 K, About PDF)
- Press Release (6/14/07)
- Air Emissions Monitoring Study (06/14/07)
- EPA Takes Important Step in Controlling Air Pollution from Farm Country Animal Feeding Operations (8/22/06)
- Environmental Appeals Board Approves Second Batch of Air Compliance Agreements With Animal Feeding Operations (4/17/06)
- Environmental Appeals Board Approves First Air Compliance Agreements with Animal Feeding Operations (1/30/06)
Federal Register Notices:
- Supplemental Notice(PDF) (1 p, 46 K, About PDF) (08/03/05): reopen signup period for consent agreement and final order.
- Supplemental Notice (PDF) (7 pp, 74 K, About PDF) (07/12/05): extension of the signup deadline and response to public comment on the agreement.
- Supplemental Notice (PDF) (1 p, 48 K, About PDF) (03/30/05): to extend signup period for consent agreement and final order, and reopening for public comment.
Response to Public Comments
EPA's response to comments received on the Air Agreement.