Petroleum Refinery National Initiative Case Results
EPA's national Petroleum Refinery Initiative addresses air emissions from the Nation's petroleum refineries. Our results have been:
- Since March 2000, the Agency has entered into 31 settlements with U.S. companies that refine over 90 percent of the Nation's petroleum refining capacity.
- These settlements cover 107 refineries in 32 states and territories, and on full implementation will result in annual emissions reductions of more than 93,000 tons of nitrogen oxides and more than 255,500 tons of sulfur dioxide.
- Negotiations are continuing with other refiners representing an additional 5 percent of domestic refining capacity and investigations are underway on others.
Settling companies have agreed to:
- Invest more than $6.5 billion in control technologies and pay civil penalties of more than $93 million
- Perform supplemental environmental projects over $80 million
EPA's settlements require:
- Significant reductions of nitrogen oxide
- Significant reductions of sulfur dioxide
- Additional emission reductions of benzene, volatile organic compounds and particulate matter
EPA's investigations focused on the four most significant Clean Air Act compliance challenges for this industry and the emissions units that are the source of most of its pollution:
- New Source Review/Prevention of Significant Deterioration
- Fluidized catalytic cracking units
- Heaters and boilers
- New Source Performance Standards
- Sulfur recovery units
- Fuel gas combustion devices (including heaters and boilers)
- Leak Detection and Repair requirements
- Benzene National Emissions Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants
EPA has reached innovative, multi-issue, multi-facility settlement negotiations with the following major petroleum refining companies:
- BP Exploration and Oil, Inc.
- BP Whiting
- Chevron USA Inc.
- CHS Inc. (Cenex)
- Coastal Eagle Point Oil Company (CEPOC)
- Coffeyville Resources Refining & Marketing Settlement
- Conoco, Inc. (preconsolidation refineries only)
- Ergon Refining Inc.
- ExxonMobil Corporation
- Hess Corporation
- Holly Refining
- Hovensa LLC
- Hunt Refining
- Koch Industries
- Lion Oil
- Marathon Ashland Petroleum LLC
- Marathon Petroleum Company, LP and Catlettsburg Refining, LLC
- Murphy Oil
- Motiva Enterprises LLC/Equilon Enterprises/Deer Park Refining (Shell)
- Navajo Refining Company and Montana Refining Company
- Shell Chemical LP/Shell Chemical Yabucoa, Inc.
- Sinclair Oil Co.
- Sunoco, Inc.
- Total Petrochemicals U.S.A
- Valero Eagle Refining Company
- Valero (Premcor)
- Western Refining
- Wyoming Refining
Selected Enforcement Alerts Affecting Petroleum Refineries