Guidance and Other Documents
The CREM website is intended to provide the modeling community with a single portal for up-to-date modeling guidance and other documents. This collection provides information on scientific integrity and defensibility in modeling, best modeling practices, integrated environmental modeling, and other topics. The CREM strives to keep this list of documents current so that modelers have access to the most recent literature; this also avoids duplication of efforts to keep such information updated. As part of the effort to build and maintain this online library, the Council works with partners within and outside EPA to identify needs related to education and communication.
Information below has been arranged by the following sections:
- CREM Guidance Documents and White Papers
- Other Relevant EPA Guidance
- Relevant Science Advisory Board Reports
- Organizational Documents
- Internal Documents
(EPA access only)
- Guidance Document on the Development, Evaluation and Application of Environmental Models (PDF), March 2009. (99 pp, 1.7 MB, About PDF)
The CREM developed this document to provide a simplified, comprehensive resource for modelers across the Agency on best modeling practices. When adhered to, the guidelines will help to ensure the quality, utility and regulatory relevance of the models that EPA develops and applies and the transparency of modeling analyses and model-based decisions.
- Integrated Modeling for Integrated Environmental Decision Making White Paper (PDF), January 2009. (69 pp, 3.0 MB, About PDF)
- CREM Draft Guidance for Environmental Models (PDF), August 2008. (95 pp, 3.74 MB, About PDF)
Draft for public comment
- CREM Draft Guidance for Environmental Models (PDF), November 2003. (60 pp, 1.04 MB, About PDF)
Draft for external peer review by Science Advisory Board Panel on Regulatory Environmental Modeling
- An Overview of Exposure Assessment Models Used by the US Environmental Protection Agency (PDF), 2010. (70 pp, 745KB About PDF)
Pamela R.D. Williams, Bryan J. Hubbell, Eric Weber, Cathy Fehrenbacher, David Hrdy and Valerie Zartarian In: Modelling of Pollutants in Complex Environmental Systems, Volume II, Chapter 3. Edited by Grady Hanrahan. Pages 61-131. Published by ILM Publications, a trading division of International Labmate Limited. This chapter is a US Government work and is in the public domain in the United States of America.
- Guidance for Quality Assurance Project Plans for Modeling (PDF), December 2002. (121 pp, 432 KB, About PDF)
This document contains advice and recommendations on how to develop a Quality Assurance Project Plan for projects involving the model development or application using data acquired from other sources. It is one of the U.S. EPA Quality System Series documents that describe the EPA policies and procedures for planning, implementing, and assessing the effectiveness of the Quality System.
- EPA Information Quality Guidelines(PDF), October 2002. (61 pp, 529 KB, About PDF )
Developed in response to guidelines issued by the Office of Management and Budget, the Guidelines for Ensuring and Maximizing the Quality, Objectivity, Utility, and Integrity of Information Disseminated by the Environmental Protection Agency contain EPA’s policy and procedural guidance for ensuring and maximizing the quality of information we disseminate. The Guidelines also outline administrative mechanisms for EPA pre-dissemination review of information products and describe some new mechanisms to enable affected persons to seek and obtain corrections from EPA regarding disseminated information that they believe does not comply with EPA or OMB guidelines.
- Proposed Agency Strategy for the Development of Guidance on Recommended Practices in Environmental Modeling (PDF), June 2001. (37 pp, 228 KB, About PDF)
Prepared by the CREM Model Evaluation Action Team.
- Quality Assurance of Environmental Models (PDF), April 2000. (69 pp, 177 KB, About PDF)
Report of a workshop on the quality assurance of environmental models.
- White Paper on the Nature and Scope of Issues on Adoption of Model Use Acceptability Guidance (PDF), May 1999. (80 pp, 297 KB, About PDF)
Options paper submitted to EPA's Science Policy Council to establish a cross-Agency approach to model evaluation.
- Report of the Agency Task Force on Environmental Regulatory Modeling. Guidance, Support Needs, Draft Criteria and Charter, 1994 (PDF) (86 pp, 3.4 MB, About PDF)
- Model Validation for Predictive Exposure Assessments (PDF), July 1994. (52 pp, 106 KB, About PDF)
Developed under the auspices of EPA's Risk Assessment Forum to propose procedures for evaluating models for exposure assessments.
- Science Advisory Board's Regulatory Environmental Modeling (REM) Guidance Advisory Panel Review of the CREM Draft Guidance on the Development, Evaluation and Application of Environmental Models and the Models Knowledge Base (PDF), August 2006 (76 pp, 668 KB, About PDF)
- Advisory on the "White Paper on the Nature and Scope of Issues on Adoption of Model Use Acceptability Criteria (PDF)," July 1999. (28 pp, 88 KB, About PDF) (see white paper) (80 pp, 297 KB, About PDF)
- Advisory on the Charter for the Council on Regulatory Environmental Modeling (CREM) (PDF), June 1999. (12 pp, 26 KB, About PDF)
- Commentary on Appropriateness of SAB Reviews of Computer Environmental Transport and Fate Models Developed for Regulatory Decisionmaking (PDF), September 1995. (6 pp, 23 KB, About PDF)
- Commentary on Bioaccumulation Modeling Issues (PDF), September 1995. (10 pp, 35 KB, About PDF)
- Review of Composite Model for Leachate Migration with Transformation Products -- EPACMTP (PDF), August 1995. (24 pp, 124 KB, About PDF)
- Review of MMSOILS Component of the Proposed Regulatory Impact Analysis for the RCRA Corrective Action Rule (PDF), November 1993. (51 pp, 147 KB About PDF)
- Review of Draft Agency Guidance for Conducting External Peer Review of Environmental Regulatory Modeling (PDF), June 1993. (12 pp, 37 KB, About PDF)
- Review of OSWER's draft report, "Report on the Usage of Computer Models in Hazardous Waste/Superfund Programs (PDF)," September 1991. 13 pp, 40 KB, About PDF)
- Review of the Combined Analytical-Numerical Saturated Zone (CANSAZ) Flow and Transport Model for use in EPA's Composite Model for Surface Impoundments (PDF), March 1990. (34 pp, 107 KB, About PDF)
- Resolution on the use of mathematical modeling for regulatory assessment and decision-making (PDF) , January 1989. (10 pp, 33 KB, About PDF)
- Review of the Unsaturated Zone Code (FECTUZ) for the Office of Solid Waste's Fate and Transport Model (PDF), July 1988. (24 pp, 65 KB, About PDF)
- Review of the Underground Storage Tank Release Simulation Model (PDF), April 1988. (20 pp, 68 KB, About PDF)
- Review of Research in support of Extrapolation Models (PDF), May 1987. (53 pp, 121 KB, About PDF)
- "CREM Charter (PDF)" December 2012. (4 pp, 57 KB, About PDF)
Describes organization and purpose of the CREM; approved by the Science and Technology Policy Council in December 2012
- "CREM Draft Guidance for Environmental Models (PDF)," August 2008. (95 pp, 3.74 MB, About PDF)
Prepared by EPA's Council for Regulatory Environmental Modeling
Public comment period August 11-September 11, 2008 (Federal Register Notice)
- Science Advisory Board
- "Council for Regulatory Environmental Modeling (PDF)," February 7, 2003. (2 pp, 87 KB, About PDF)
Administrator memorandum discussing her expectations for the CREM.
- "Regional Participation in the CREM (PDF)," January 29, 2003. (2 pp, 89 KB, About PDF)
Region 4 Deputy Regional Administrator encouraging regional participation in CREM activities.
- "Strengthening Science at the Environmental Protection Agency (PDF)," May 30, 2002. (2 pp, 417 KB, About PDF)
Administrator memorandum establishing an EPA Science Advisor and enumerating the CREM as a priority item to strengthen the basis for science-based decision-making.
- Memorandum from Science Advisor regarding CREM re-structuring (PDF). May 23, 2002. (3 pp, 133 KB, About PDF
Science Advisor memorandum establishing re-structuring of the CREM.
- "Framework for the Council on Regulatory Environmental Modeling (PDF)," February 23, 2000. (3 pp, 19 KB, About PDF)
Administrator memorandum that first established the CREM.