EPA's Region 6 Office
Serving: Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and 66 Tribal Nations
The Westside community was chosen as the EPA Region 6 Environmental Justice (EJ) Showcase Community to participate in EPA's national initiative to address EJ challenges in ten communities across the country. The two-year EJ Showcase Community project used a collaborative community-based approach by gathering input from all stakeholders to improve the community's public health and the environment.
Port Arthur Environmental Profile
This environmental profile is a resource to help you understand important environmental indicators for your area. The information in this profile is a summary of documents prepared by EPA and various state agencies.
- Provides information on the current environmental conditions in your area.
- Identifies past and present sources that contribute to the environmental conditions.
The environmental profile has three sections: air, water, and land.
Color Code Ratings
To quickly learn about the current condition of Port Arthur air, water, and land, EPA has created a color code rating system you will see throughout this website.
|Short Answer||Long Answer|
|OK, No known concerns||No known risk levels are exceeded based on existing knowledge and data|
|Limited Concern or risk is uncertain||Risk is limited or intermittent. Some uncertain risk may be present, or risk is to the ecology but not directly to human health|
|Caution is Advised (condition may be temporary)||Risk is present to human health and/or the environment. However condition may be temporary|
|Avoid. Known chronic risk to human health||Risk is known to exist on a consistent basis and should be avoided.|
Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ)
- General contact information: Region 10, 3870 Eastex Freeway, Beaumont, TX 77703-1830 / (409) 898-3838 / www.tceq.texas.gov/about/directory/region/reglist.html#10
- Calendar of public meetings and hearings on permitting cases: www.tceq.state.tx.us/agency/opa/calendar.html
- Gathering and preserving information and evidence showing a violation: www.tceq.state.tx.us/compliance/complaints/protocols/evi_proto.html
- Office of the Chief Clerk: www.tceq.texas.gov/about/organization/commissioner.html
- Public participation in environmental permitting (overview): www.tceq.texas.gov/agency/opa/pub_part.html
- Review of requests for reconsideration and contested case hearings information: www.tceq.texas.gov/agency/opa/pub_part.html#review
- Plain English Guide to the Clean Air Act: www.epa.gov/air/caa/peg
- Summary of the Clean Air Act: www.epa.gov/lawsregs/laws/caa.html
- Introduction to the Clean Air Act (tribal audience): www.epa.gov/ow/tribaltraining/2009/tcourse0911.html
- Permits and enforcement: www.epa.gov/air/caa/peg/permits.html
- Beach Advisory and Closing On-line Notification (BEACON) database - Jefferson County: iaspub.epa.gov/waters10/beacon_county_page.main?p_county_fips=245&p_state_fips=48
- Brownfields and land revitalization: www.epa.gov/brownfields/tools/index.htm
- Texas Beach Watch (Texas General Land Office): www.texasbeachwatch.com
- Vapor intrusion information: www.epa.gov/oswer/vaporintrusion
- The process EPA uses to cleanup Superfund sites: www.epa.gov/superfund/cleanup/index.htm
- 2010 Texas index of water quality impairments (draft): www.tceq.state.tx.us/assets/public/compliance/monops/water/10twqi/2010_imp_index.pdf
- 2010 Texas Water Quality Inventory Water Bodies with Concerns for Use Attainment and Screening Levels (draft): www.tceq.state.tx.us/assets/public/compliance/monops/water/10twqi/2010_concerns.pdf
- Listing of water bodies with possession bans (Texas Department of State Health Services): www.dshs.state.tx.us/seafood/survey.shtm#Bans
- Texas water quality standards document repository: http://water.epa.gov/scitech/swguidance/standards/wqslibrary/tx_index.cfm