Projects & Publications
Environmental Health Indicators Initiative
Start Date: 2004 | Completion Date: TBD
The ultimate goal of this project is to improve public health in the US-Mexico Border Region by strengthening the scientific basis for environmental decision-making. In addition, the project will strengthen the scientific expertise needed to participate in such processes.
The program has three components:
- Environmental Health Indicators Initiative - This component intends to define a framework for identification and use of specific indicators that establish a link between health and environment. These Environmental Health Indicators (EHI's) are intended to help in the comparative assessment of the status of the environment and public health before and after implementation of activities that support the US-Mexico Border 2012 program. Activities includes:
- Promotion of Pilot research Projects to identify binational health indicators along the US-Mexico Border.
- Dissemination of the importance and relevance of Environmental Health Indicators through Binational Meetings and Conferences.
- Development, coordination and complementation of the Geographical Information Systems along the border by developing Binational GIS maps
- Development a special section on environment and environmental health to disseminate environmental health data, research and information.
- 3 to 5 pilot research studies to identify effective and relevant environmental health indicators.
- To promote the results of such research studies throughout the border virtual health library , binational conferences and meetings, and develop an environmental health area in PAHO Web Site
- Use of the binational Geographic Information System maps by the NGO's and Agencies related with Environmental Health along the US-Mexico Border and Support the use of Geographic Information Systems Binational Maps
- Create capacity among the staff of agencies and NGO's working on environmental health.
Project ContactsEnvironmental Health Office at PAHO
5400 Suncrest Dr. Suite C-4
El Paso, Texas 79912
Ph (915) 845 5950 Ext 31
Fax: (915) 845 4361
PAHO, CDC/EPA, USMBHC and other Researchers and Agencies along the US Mexico Border PAHO, (CDC/NIOSH, CDC/NCEH, ADHS, CDHS, NMDOH, TDH, FUMEC, DGSA, DGE, INSP)