Criminal Enforcement Policy, Guidance and Publications
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Environmental Crimes Case Bulletins
Monthly bulletins summarize publicized investigative activity and adjudicated cases by EPA's Criminal Enforcement special agents, forensic specialists, and legal support staff.
- April 2013 (PDF) (11 pp, 2MB)
- March 2013 (PDF) (12 pp, 2MB)
- February 2013 (PDF) (14 pp, 2MB)
- January 2013 (PDF) (11 pp, 1.3MB)
- December 2012 (PDF) (12 pp, 2MB)
- November 2012 (PDF) (12 pp, 1.6MB)
- October 2012 (PDF) (17 pp, 4MB)
- September 2012 (PDF) (16 pp, 1.4MB)
- August 2012 (PDF) (18 pp, 4MB)
- July 2012 (PDF) (12 pp, 1.2MB)
- June 2012 (PDF) (12 pp, 2.3MB)
- May 2012 (PDF) (19 pp, 3.2MB)
- April 2012 (PDF) (12 pp, 4.2MB)
- March 2012 (PDF) (13 pp, 2.4MB)
- January/February 2012 (PDF) (13 pp, 1.7MB)
False Vehicle Emissions, Volume 1, Issue 2, Nov. 2011 (PDF) (2 pp, 550K)
Fraudulent vehicle emissions test schemes have been around for many years but have been difficult to detect and enforce against because inspectors had to be "caught in the act." New vehicle testing technology makes inspection fraud easier to detect and spurs increased EPA Criminal Enforcement.
Lead Based Paint, Volume 1, Issue 1, Sept. 2011 (PDF) (2 pp, 272K)
Exposure to lead based paint endangers the health of all citizens, but especially young children. The cases included in this enforcement alert involve licensed inspectors and building managers who failed to meet their responsibilities under lead based paint regulations.
The Exercise of Investigative Discretion (PDF) (6 pp, 185K), January 12, 1994.
Authored by: Earl E. Devaney, Director of Criminal Enforcement.
This document establishes case selection criteria for cases investigated by EPA's Office of Criminal Enforcement, Criminal Investigation Division.
OECA Parallel Proceeding Policy (PDF) (10 pp, 584K), September 24, 2007.
This policy reaffirms and clarifies the earlier policies, while adding procedural mechanisms to enhance effective communications between the Agency's civil and criminal enforcement programs.
Compliance-Focused Environmental Management System - Enforcement Agreement Guidance
This document presents key elements for a compliance focused EMS and how these elements may be incorporated into environmental enforcement investigations
June, 2005 (PDF) (20 pp, 2MB)
Process-Based investigation Guide (PDF) (54 pp, 577K)
March, 1997 - EPA-330/9-97-001
This guide provides information on process-based investigations.
Management Review of the Office of Criminal Enforcement, Forensics and Training (PDF)
(80 pp, 858K)
A management review of the Office of Criminal Enforcement, Forensics and Training (OCEFT), which was intended to analyze the management practices of the office and to recommend improvements that would further the mission of the organization.
EPA's Criminal Enforcement Program Overview (PDF) (43 pp, 2.4MB): An overview of the criminal enforcement program which provides information about the various components of the program and case highlights.
OCEFT At a Glance (PDF) (2 pp, 611K): This is a two page flyer which provides general background information about all aspects of the Office of Criminal Enforcement, Forensics and Training.
Environmental Criminal Forensics – Tri-Annual Interpol Forensics Conferences
- Guidelines and Resources for Conducting An Environmental Crime Investigation in the United States; Environmental Forensics (2002) 3, 91-113
- Environmental Crime; 14th International Forensic Science Symposium (2004) (PDF) ( 47 pp, 231K)
- Environmental Crime; 15th International Forensic Science Symposium (2007) (PDF) (64 pp, 405K)
- Environmental Crime: 16th International Forensics Science Symposium (2010) (PDF) (48 pp, 242K)
International Network for Environmental Compliance and Enforcement Conference
- Case Studies: Use of Remote Sensing and Other Investigatory Techniques; Lubieniecki; 8th International Conference on Environmental Compliance and Enforcement, Cape Town, South Africa, 2009
- Laboratory Analysis of Catalytic Converters Leads to Better Enforcement Results; Smith, Suggs, Isin; 9th International Conference on Environmental Compliance and Enforcement, Whistler, British Columbia, 2011
- Port of Huntington Geographic Enforcement/Compliance Initiative: A Case Study in Inter- and Intra- Agency Cooperation; Lubieniecki; 9th International Conference on Environmental Compliance and Enforcement, Whistler, British Columbia, 2011