Enforcement and Compliance History Online is a website that allows you to search for facilities in your community for the
purpose of determining whether:
- EPA or state/local governments have conducted compliance inspections
- violations were detected or
- enforcement actions and penalties were taken in response to environmental law violations.
There are four key components of the enforcement process that are documented in EPA databases:
- The occurrence of a monitoring event such as an inspection or a self-report;
- The determination of a violation (noncompliance);
- The occurrence of a government enforcement action to remedy violations; and
- Penalties associated with government actions.
The information provided in the site relates to facilities regulated as Clean Air Act stationary sources, as Clean Water Act permitted dischargers (National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System - NPDES), and as hazardous waste generators/handlers pursuant to the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA).
You may use a variety of data retrieval options in the Enforcement and Compliance Query to search for other facilities that interest you.