Mentoring is a process, formal or informal, that enables participants to enter into a relationship that facilitates and fosters self-improvement. It is the intentional pairing of an experienced person with a less-experienced person, with the agreed upon goal of having the less-experienced person grow and develop specific competencies. If conducted properly and clearly understood, mentoring will improve the effectiveness of people and the organization where they work. When successful mentoring takes place, a nurturing learning environment develops and becomes part of the overall culture.
Benefits of Mentoring
EPA Presidential Management Fellows that participate in a mentoring relationship will be afforded many benefits, including:
- Fellows will be provided opportunities to receive directional and motivational counseling and guidance to enhance their proficiency, which can support their career development and professional growth.
- The Fellow is provided with a role model, guide, and sounding board. The fellow can learn from example, express new ideas, or vent frustrations depending on the nature of the relationship.
- The Fellow has an increased feeling of integration into the organization along with a better sense of belonging.
- Mentoring provides an excellent chance to improve communication skills, self-development, and career growth planning.
- Fellows will likely enhance their self-esteem and self-confidence.
Finding a Mentor at the EPA
A number of former Presidential Management Fellows and current EPA
employees have expressed an interest in mentoring new Presidential
Management Fellows appointed at the EPA. The contact information for
these folks is listed below. Fellows should be sure to carefully consider
who might be their best match, and then take the time to contact that
person and discuss a potential mentor relationship.
|Evarts, Dale||1985||OAR||Acting Director/ International Programs Coordinator|
|Flory, Mark||1985||OA/OCIR||State & Local Government Liaison|
|Kumar, Chitra||2002||OAR||Policy Analyst|
|Levy, Jeffrey||1993||OPA||Senior Web Manager|
|Malm, Sylvia||1983||OW||Environmental Protection Specialist|
|McClendon, Michelle||1992||R2/Office of Policy and Management||Management Analyst|
|Mullins, John||1979||OIG||Director/PCIE Liaison|
|Nickerson, William||2002||OPEI||Regulatory Impact Analyst|
|Peters, Sonia||2002||OSWER||Environmental Protection Specialist|
|Seidner, Marcia||1985||R2||Regional Director|
|Singelis, Nikos||1988||OW||Communications Lead|
|Snyder, Robin||1992||OAR||National Program Outreach Manager|
|Thatcher, Jennifer||2000||R2||Program Analyst and Innovations Coordinator|
|Yu, Cynthia||1991||RTP||Communication and Outreach Lead|
Mentors: If you would like your name removed from this listing, please contact the Presidential Management Fellows coordinator for EPA, Kent Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org).