2012 WasteWise Awards
In past years, WasteWise awards were based on a combination of reported data and narrative descriptions of an organization’s activities. This year, partner and endorser awards are based on data reported in the SMM data management system (partners) or a narrative description of activities (endorsers). Participants will be evaluated using a weighted average of evaluation criteria as described below. Applicants are also screened for enforcement and other issues. Award applications are due by April 30, 2013.
Partner awards will be given this year based on data reported. Both "Partner-of-the-Year" and "Honorable Mention" awards will be given in multiple sector-based categories. Award categories are:
BusinessVery Large Business (20,000+ employees)
Large Business (1,000 to 19,999 employees)
Midsize Business (500 to 999 employees)
Small Business (1 to 499 employees)
How to Apply for a Partner AwardTo apply for a 2013 WasteWise partner award please email the Helpline at WasteWiseHelp@epa.gov or call 800-EPA-WISE (372-9473) for an award application and instructions. Once EPA receives your application for an award, we will begin to evaluate your reported data.
Evaluation Criteria for Partner Awards
EPA will use the partner's 2011 and 2012 reported data as evaluation criteria for 2013 awards. Quantitative results from reported data for waste prevention (WP), recycling (R), and disposal (D) will serve as the key elements for award evaluations. The following weighted criteria will be aggregated and used in evaluating award applications:
Annual Improvement in 2012 (20 percent)
- Percent of incremental improvement of waste diversion (waste prevention + recycling) in 2012 vs 2011
Overall Performance in 2012 (40 percent)
- Percent that waste diversion plays in the overall management of materials
Waste Prevention Performance in 2012 (40 percent)
- Percent that waste prevention plays in overall management of materials
Endorser AwardsEndorser awards recognize outstanding efforts to promote WasteWise as a means to help organizations reduce waste and promote overall sustainable materials management. An "Endorser-of-the-Year" award will be given out for 2013. Endorsers are asked to submit a narrative up to five pages describing their endorser activities during calendar year 2012.
How to Apply for an Endorser AwardTo apply for a 2013 WasteWise endorser award please email the Helpline at email@example.com or call 800-EPA-WISE (372-9473) for an award application and instructions.
Evaluation Criteria for Endorser AwardsEvaluation criteria for 2012 endorser awards will remain the same as in past years. WasteWise will evaluate endorser award applications based on a weighted average of the following criteria:
Promotional Activities (50 percent)
- Scope of activities – describe the range of activities conducted in 2012 by your organization to promote WasteWise, including information on the creativity and effectiveness of promotional methods
- Frequency of efforts – describe efforts conducted in 2012 to promote the WasteWise program
Promotional Results (50 percent)
- Quantify the type and number of WasteWise prospective participants that resulted from your promotional efforts in 2012
- Quantify the number of new WasteWise participants joining the program as a result of your promotional efforts in 2012
- Quantify the number of new or existing WasteWise partners that you assisted with tracking and/or reporting in 2012
If you would like additional information about the 2013 WasteWise awards, please email the WasteWise Helpline or call 800-EPA-WISE (372-9473).