Students (Grades 9–12)
Why Go Green? It's Your Environment. It's Your Choice.
Our future depends on how we treat our environment today. Many of your everyday activities create waste—even driving a car!
- Have you ever wondered what happens to the used oil that is drained from your car? Used oil from a single oil change can ruin a million gallons of fresh water—a year's supply for 50 people. Recycling your oil helps the environment, saves energy and protects our drinking water.
- What about the old cell phone in your closet, collecting dust? Don't throw it away—it'll sit in a landfill for many years. Consider donating, selling, or recycling it!
"Your Environment. Your Choice" is an EPA resource offering solutions to solid waste problems that we all face every day. By understanding waste issues and changing your habits, you can be an environmental steward and make a difference in our planet's future.
For optimal functionality, open this site in Internet Explorer 9.
- Use products made with recycled materials
- Use energy-efficient light bulbs and rechargeable batteries
- Shop with cloth bags
- Reuse plastic bags, cups, containers, etc.
- Repair items instead of throwing them away.
- Compost your food and yard waste.